the miracle of march 7th 1981 to march 11th 1981

went to every cup game that season, but the one at goodison was without doubt one of the scariest games i have attended, but the game itself was the best cup game i have ever been to, it had everything even the highlights commentary by david coleman was brilliant, he said it all IT IS BEDLAM AROUND THE GROUND, that qoute said it all for me, not winning that cup that year set this club back decades, i always thought if we had won it instead of them nasty shitheads from tottenham we would have gone on from strength to strength, it was a travesty, the signings of gow hutchinson and mcdonald was a masterstroke by bond, gave the side a bit of experience, but gerry gow for me was the main man the most underated player of that season, the only reason we did not win a trophy that season was bad luck and god only knows why?

When Paul Power scored the equaliser at Goodison that was the
best bit of "bouncin" I've ever been in...class great memories.
Paul Power was often grossly underrated as well.

Dirty Harry said:
Bond just bought experience in every department and it literally turned the season around, odd thing was, I`d watched Gerry Gow, Tommy Hutch and Bobby Mac for years and was a bit disappointed but they all turned out to be cracking buys for us that season.

Well I'd have preferred to keep all the players Big Mal sold ...

He was a great coach but bloody awful as a manager ...<br /><br />-- Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:34 pm --<br /><br />
mancunial said:
went to every cup game that season, but the one at goodison was without doubt one of the scariest games i have attended, but the game itself was the best cup game i have ever been to, it had everything even the highlights commentary by david coleman was brilliant, he said it all IT IS BEDLAM AROUND THE GROUND, that qoute said it all for me, not winning that cup that year set this club back decades, i always thought if we had won it instead of them nasty shitheads from tottenham we would have gone on from strength to strength, it was a travesty, the signings of gow hutchinson and mcdonald was a masterstroke by bond, gave the side a bit of experience, but gerry gow for me was the main man the most underated player of that season, the only reason we did not win a trophy that season was bad luck and god only knows why?

Gerry Gow was the best purchase without doubt ...

lancs blue said:
CITY FOR LIFE said:
Not a chance there were 52500 at Maine Road for the replay more like 60k, the kippax was packed like never before. Peterborough away was also a great day out in the 5th rd.

Talking of crowds how did they get 27,500 inside that ground? You couldn't move in the City end, when Tommy Booth scored the winner the whole end seemed to jump up as one we were jammed that tight.

Went to every match for the Cup run in 81 but for some reason sat in the seats at Peterborough a crazy day out but Everton away was beyond belief after we scored the second and equalising goal. At Villa for the semi stood in the end opposite where the mass of Blues were and Power scored but we were everywhere that day.
It was our time but to lose the final on the thursday after throwing away a winning position on the saterday set us back years and I think looking back also put into motion the chaos that engulfed the club for years to follow.

mancunial said:

Never missed an away game that season, I use to sell me free dinner ticket to raise money! Think my season ticket was £15. Goodison was mad, however it was pay back at maine road for them dirty scousers!! Paul Power was magic - very underated city player imo. went to peterborough on the football special - great days!!!!

didnt tommy hutch get sent off at goodison at the death for butting someone, kevin ratcliffe i think

The replay was one of the great Maine Road nights, as an 11 year old in the Kippax with my dad and brother, totally mesmerized and hooked for life.
Mike N said:
I was at both games and can still see Paul Power jumping for joy in front of the blues when he got the late equaliser.

I was at school in Victoria Park, St Pius, and someone burned the gym and school hall down on the Sunday night. We got to school on the Monday only to be told to go home. Well all us blues went to Maine Road and got the tickets for the replay.

We never did find out which blue lit the fire at school!
Ha, great stuff Mike. I started at Pius in September 81 and the place was still recovering from the fire. Everyone reckoned they knew someone who did it but don't think anyone ever got caught.
Hilarious if it really was City related. That's proper hardcore support, committing a major arson just so you'll get a decent spot in the queue for tickets!

Memories of the ticket arrangements are misty from time. But I think I turned up with my dad and the Kippax queues were massive and we legged it round to the Platt Lane and stood just on the bend to the Main stand on the stairways for the game. Loads of Everton to our left kicking off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.