The New £50 note

I'm a bit naïve on these things, but has Hawking ever actually contributed anything with a real world application? Beyond theories of space and the like, actual progress? Does knowing shit about back holes or the big bang actually do owt? I presume it probably has led to advances in fields, I just can't think of anything off the top of my head
Here's an article that mentions one of his main theories and why it never won him a nobel prize.

I'll be honest, I'm like you in that I don't really know enough about science to judge someone's contributions to the field. But obviously part of his appeal for things like this isn't just his contribution to science, it's that he's done it in spite of his disabilities. And perhaps that's reason enough for him to go on a banknote (in the same way that people suggest Turing not just for his contribution to the war effort, but the circumstances surrounding them). I think most people's judgement of him as a great scientist are largely based on his popular science books and media profile. Which doesn't mean they're wrong, but I'm not really in a position to judge.

I would vote for James Prescot Joule so many great scientists from the UK are overlooked considering their achievents

And he was a local lad

Last edited:
Reactions: mat
They are looking for SCIENTISTS to feature on the new note. A shortlist has been drawn up and I think Turing is a good shout as is Hawking but I cannot overlook Lovelace. My concern is what the fuck is Thatcher doing on the shortlist ???? Its about contributions to science and on that basis she has no basis to be on the shortlist at all !!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46343965
Have a feeling the PM had a word about putting such a divisive figure on the note.

They are looking for SCIENTISTS to feature on the new note. A shortlist has been drawn up and I think Turing is a good shout as is Hawking but I cannot overlook Lovelace. My concern is what the fuck is Thatcher doing on the shortlist ???? Its about contributions to science and on that basis she has no basis to be on the shortlist at all !!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46343965

Didn't she light a bunsen burner once whilst slaving away at Somerville?

Inexplicably overlooked...

DrBunsen-Honeydew2.jpg

I'm a bit naïve on these things, but has Hawking ever actually contributed anything with a real world application? Beyond theories of space and the like, actual progress? Does knowing shit about back holes or the big bang actually do owt? I presume it probably has led to advances in fields, I just can't think of anything off the top of my head
Is that a euphemism for something you want to say? Biology is a science, after all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.