The new ID card

There is absolutely no justification for the government's ID cards scheme. Every reason (excuse) they have put forward for entering us onto their identity databases has been debunked. If those supporting this scheme wish to be taken seriously then they will have to make a real attempt at explaining how it will 'help stop terrorism/illegal immigration/fraud etc'

Instead we have heard lie after lie. The most egregious of which has been that this system is going to be a voluntary one. You may not have to physically carry around a piece of plastic but at some point Labour do intend to make passports conditional on database registration. Making your freedom of movement conditional on registration is not a voluntary scheme, it is a form of coercion.

So what do ID cards actually mean then? Well, after having read the legislation, mainly the ID cards Act 2006 and accompanying orders (which most people won't be bothered to do) they mean:

- State owned biometric profiles. The state does not own your identity, you own your identity. I find it offensive that anyone can seek to create one official state owned identity.

- Lifelong reporting obligations to the state. Any information you give to them must be kept up to date at your expense on pain of fines of up to£1,000.

- Lifelong surveillance:

(a) Every time your information is used audit trails are being created on their systems. This allows patterns to be generated of the who/what/when of the interactions of citizens.

(b) A wide variety of public bodies are to be allowed to access your profile without your consent (this statutory order was passed during the MP expenses saga)

Anyone who has been concerned about the way this country has been headed over the past 12 years is right to be furious about this latest new-Labour scheme. From my point of view it is about more surveillance and control over law-abidding citizens.

ploder said:
There is absolutely no justification for the government's ID cards scheme. Every reason (excuse) they have put forward for entering us onto their identity databases has been debunked. If those supporting this scheme wish to be taken seriously then they will have to make a real attempt at explaining how it will 'help stop terrorism/illegal immigration/fraud etc'

Instead we have heard lie after lie. The most egregious of which has been that this system is going to be a voluntary one. You may not have to physically carry around a piece of plastic but at some point Labour do intend to make passports conditional on database registration. Making your freedom of movement conditional on registration is not a voluntary scheme, it is a form of coercion.

So what do ID cards actually mean then? Well, after having read the legislation, mainly the ID cards Act 2006 and accompanying orders (which most people won't be bothered to do) they mean:

- State owned biometric profiles. The state does not own your identity, you own your identity. I find it offensive that anyone can seek to create one official state owned identity.

- Lifelong reporting obligations to the state. Any information you give to them must be kept up to date at your expense on pain of fines of up to£1,000.

- Lifelong surveillance:

(a) Every time your information is used audit trails are being created on their systems. This allows patterns to be generated of the who/what/when of the interactions of citizens.

(b) A wide variety of public bodies are to be allowed to access your profile without your consent (this statutory order was passed during the MP expenses saga)

Anyone who has been concerned about the way this country has been headed over the past 12 years is right to be furious about this latest new-Labour scheme. From my point of view it is about more surveillance and control over law-abidding citizens.

Spot on there mate. And every time Ii hear another sheep saying "well if you've got nothing to hide, where's the problem.... only criminals don't want to give up this information about themselves" I just want to puke on the simpletons. They really have no idea how much contempt and mistrust this government holds for it's citizens.

ploder said:

- Lifelong surveillance:

Reading between the lines I take it you're not a fan of ID cards?

geek said:
are these instead of passports??
if so i'm up for one as there hell of alot cheaper than a passport
No.
You won't be allowed in or out of the UK without a passport. We aren't signatories to the Schengen agreement.

I think it's a good idea actually.

I mean, say a terrorist wants to get on a plane and blow it up all security need to do is look at his ID under occupation and if it says terrorist then they stop him from going on the plane.

It's a genius idea. Police arrest a man suspected of rape, check his ID card, if it says he's an accountant then you know he's innocent but if it says rapist then you know he's the wanted man.

Can't believe it's taken this long for the government to suss this out.

ploder said:

- Lifelong surveillance:

blimey, what a first post! lol :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.