The Official Ashes 09 Thread

I realise that this is the worst Australian team in living memory, but still our selectors constantly leave me scratching my head:

Strauss: Went from being dropped to captain. Personally don't think he got the right "aura" [ ;) ] for a captain nor test record
Cook: Why is he still in the team? Burst onto the scene and faded equally as quick.
Bopara: Not a Test match player but seems to show flashes of confidence, wouldn't get anywhere near Aus/S.A/India squad
Bell: Amazing technique, but a little woman. No confidence.
Flintoff: As a batsman one of the most overrated cricketers ever. With the ball, can be world class.
Prior: Selectors have really fucked this up; Read was by far the best keeper in the country but apparently keppers need to bat, not catch the ball, this guy isnt a good enough keeper for me.
Swan: Another "why?" player, we have better spinners but again this fascination that everyone must bat. Average county player
Broad: I hate this guy, he's absolutely shite. So overhyped its untrue. Can't get the ball to move in favourable conditions and doesn't bowl consistently well enough.
Anderson: On form unplayable, shows glimpses of absolute class.
Onions: Will be forgotten by the winter, why cant we pick a team that can play both home and away?

Ah well, i'll stop ranting now, because we're on top!

johnmc said:
So Gstar out of the 11 selected for this test you are of the opinion there is just one player in Anderson who merits his place?

Strauss, Flintoff, to an extent Bell, Anderson. Usually Peitersen would sit in that bracket too.

The thing is, is you asked me to name thier replacements i'd struggle, were just not currently producing world class cricketers it would seem. Any that have a chance are thrown in and spit out far too early, or are left to rot (a la Cook) for far too long.

GStar said:
I realise that this is the worst Australian team in living memory, but still our selectors constantly leave me scratching my head:

Strauss: Went from being dropped to captain. Personally don't think he got the right "aura" [ ;) ] for a captain nor test record
Cook: Why is he still in the team? Burst onto the scene and faded equally as quick.
Bopara: Not a Test match player but seems to show flashes of confidence, wouldn't get anywhere near Aus/S.A/India squad
Bell: Amazing technique, but a little woman. No confidence.
Flintoff: As a batsman one of the most overrated cricketers ever. With the ball, can be world class.
Prior: Selectors have really fucked this up; Read was by far the best keeper in the country but apparently keppers need to bat, not catch the ball, this guy isnt a good enough keeper for me.
Swan: Another "why?" player, we have better spinners but again this fascination that everyone must bat. Average county player
Broad: I hate this guy, he's absolutely shite. So overhyped its untrue. Can't get the ball to move in favourable conditions and doesn't bowl consistently well enough.
Anderson: On form unplayable, shows glimpses of absolute class.
Onions: Will be forgotten by the winter, why cant we pick a team that can play both home and away?

Ah well, i'll stop ranting now, because we're on top!

Strauss should have been captain after Vaughan. When they gave it to freddie strauss fell apart for a couple of years. He still averages over 44 in tests and is the best captain in the current squad.

Cook average 43.97 in tests. Young with a sound technique. Goweresque at times and will be in the team for a long time.

Bopara. I'm not such a fan as he lacks the proper mind set for test cricket as far as I can see so far. Of course he did well against the windies so deserves a spot right now.

Bell. frustraights the hell out of me. Average 40.59 which isn't much below vaughan and gooch.

Freddy. should be batting at 10

Prior. I know what you mean about keeping but his average is 46 and only KP(who i cannot stand) of the current squad has a higher average so he merits a place on batting alone. Alex Stewart averaged 39.5

Swann???????? I don't get this at all.

Broad. needs to be dropped and told to go away and take wickets.

Jimmy. Love him. He seams to have been around for a long time. They coached his brilliance out of him but he's got it back again. More likely to take 5 wickets than anyone i remember since Botham.

Onions. I agree with you.

As above,with reservations about Strauss' captaincy.
He is captain by default,as we are not overburdened by potential candidates.
His field placings are weird,his motivational skills are non-existent and the way he rotates his bowlers is hit-and-miss.
As for Broad,he should indeed be dropped.
Preferably off a tall building.

Blue down under said:
Rudi you **** fucking blind old bastard, should be shot. UNFORGIVABLE

overreaction1.jpg

Please. England is the only country were "Sports men" get picked because of their friends, not because of their quality.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.