The official EDS and academy thread 2012/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
all those worrying about the academy.stop it ,patiance,and trust that is all that is needed,the club is putting the worlds most solid foundations in place.you will see .

ANewEra... said:
Neville Kneville said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
a few ended up like that, but we produced players like sturridge, johnson- ( if fit would probably be in the first team, shame), trippier- who is being linked with arsenal. Richards, who have we recently produced at that level ??

So basically, we produced Sturridge (who we pinched from another club) Richards (who we pinched from another club) & Johnson (alcoholic).

You could add, SWP (pinched from another club) Barton (vicious piss head) Ireland (nutcase) Ched Evans, Etuhu, etc etc.

Wheras before the academy people arrived, we produced Paul lake, David White, Hinchcliffe etc etc & previous to that, players like Paul Power, Peter Barnes, Gary Owen etc, all done without any huge investment or academy.

Our academy was a production line of mediocrity which served only to bring in a few quid by selling average players.

Now we are trying to emulate Barca, who bring kids through from five years old & you think a system which failed to produce one single home grown Premier League standard attacking player, in over ten years, was better than what we have now ?

Whether we took them from other clubs has nothing to do with the U21 coaching staff... their job is simply to move them from the youth setup to the first team, which Cassell did. whether or not they have played for city since they were 5 or not has nothing to do with the U21 manager. The facts are simple since 2008 no player has passed through our U21 side that would be capable of competing for a place in the team today. Before 2008 we had Richards and Sturridge who had both come through the U18s and reserves and are now Top 4 quality players and Nedum Onouha (sp) was breaking into the side. Whatever Cassell's limitations were you can bet that if you gave him the likes of Suarez and Rekik he would have them a lot closer to the first team than they are now. Then it would be up to Mancini to make the decision to give them a chance or not but right now he doesn't need to because none of them are good enough.

There has been a lot said about the level difference between now and when Cassell was around but barring Guidetti who is only at his level because of a year at Feyenoord there isn't one player in our U21s that could break into the starting lineup of a relegation battling PL side never mind the champions. Its down to the U21 coaching staff to develop them to that level so the club can arrange a loan move that will develop the players.

Whether Lombardo is any good, I've no idea but Txiki is, & he will demand the right people get the right jobs. The previous set up was only good for producing average players. Their main output for the first team were the athletes such as Richards, Nedum etc. They came through because they were quick & powerful. We completely failed to produce anything anywhere near to the standard of footballer required now, wheras clubs such as West Ham produced footballers. If Weiss & I reland had been rags, they would have been twice as well prepared for the first team rather than needing a crash course in how to play football from Sven etc.

The academy was a production line for the lower leagues. It will always do that but it will become a production line for us too. The only habits our young attackers seemed to learn was how to become big headed. None were well prepared. Guidetti would not have benefitted from the previous system at all.

Manchester City bring in Portuguese youngster as emphasis on future continues

No sooner have Manchester City tied Yaya Toure to the club for another four years, the club are already looking to the future by giving Portuguese youngster Diogo Izata a trial at the club.

Portuguese newspaper A Bola have revealed that the current Premier League champions are bringing the 16 year old defensive midfielder over to Manchester after monitoring him in recent months. It has been reported that Izata will arrive at Manchester City's Carrington base on Monday and will train for a week at with the club to see if there is further interest. The midfielder is currently at Portuguese side U.D. Leiria who play in the third tier, so some seriously in depth scouting must be going.

Record revealed back in March that Manchester City were monitoring Izata and his teammate Bernardo Silvano. The club had approached U.D. Leiria to get authorisation for the two youngsters to come over for a trial in Manchester. The delay in Izata coming to England was due to him competing in the recent Montaigu tournament, a competition for under 16 international teams. The 16 year old was representing Portugal’s youth team in the tournament which was won by Turkey.

Manchester City bringing over Izata is further evidence that club are trying to bring in the best youngsters from across Europe as they look to emulate the youth system of Spanish giants Barcelona. The club have put a lot of effort over the last couple of years into their academy which includes building new facilities close to the Etihad Stadium, and they are now are looking to bring in the players to improve the crop who will use those facilities.

It's a long term view and deserves credit, despite a lot of criticism Manchester City are looking to build a rounded club rather than simply throw huge amounts at the transfer window every it's flung open. The Etihad Campus plans are incredibly impressive and any young player who gets a chance to be part of the system is going to be given the best of everything.

<a class="postlink" href="http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/manchester-city-bring-in-portuguese-youngster-as-emphasis-on-futu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topi ... is-on-futu</a>

I think as Manchester City fans some serious questioning needs to be asked with regard to the Youth set up. The amounts being spent on players are very considerable and the level of performance being seen at U21 and U18 level in particular is very average.

Apart from the obvious high costs of the foreign imports, other players who have represented these squads have cost significant sums. For example, the compensation fee for Swan and Hutton has been quoted at £800,000 (signed as 15 year olds from Leeds) and City probably paid a significant compensation fee for Huws (some reports claiming Swansea wanted up to £500,000).

I would therefore suggest that these teams are some of the most expensively assembled youth squads you are likely to find. The level of performance at Youth Cup level and Next Gen in particular however has been very poor in recent years.

Top level players at Youth level can carry a team. If anyone saw Wayne Rooney play for Everton in 2002 in the Youth Cup, they would realise that real quality will shine through and will influence performance and results.

At present, this is not happening at City. I believe that the quality of home grown players is not good enough. The foreign imports are showing only glimpses of ability and they have and are not controlling games. Something is missing in the whole set up.

The whole structure of the youth set up seems to lack something. This includes overall management, coaching and scouting. City have been the most powerful player in the transfer market in recent years, however none of the youth buys have proven to be successful yet. I think Raheem Sterling should have been bought as a 15 year old and Paul Pogma would have been a great acquisition if we could have poached him from United (instead of going to Juventus).

If anyone thinks that the fantastic new Academy site will create success by itself also, they are wrong. Many of the most successful hotbeds of talent have had very limited and often ramshackle facilities, like the Russian tennis Academies. We as City fans should be demanding more at Youth level and expectations need to be raised.

StockportJB76 said:
I think as Manchester City fans some serious questioning needs to be asked with regard to the Youth set up. The amounts being spent on players are very considerable and the level of performance being seen at U21 and U18 level in particular is very average.

Apart from the obvious high costs of the foreign imports, other players who have represented these squads have cost significant sums. For example, the compensation fee for Swan and Hutton has been quoted at £800,000 (signed as 15 year olds from Leeds) and City probably paid a significant compensation fee for Huws (some reports claiming Swansea wanted up to £500,000).

I would therefore suggest that these teams are some of the most expensively assembled youth squads you are likely to find. The level of performance at Youth Cup level and Next Gen in particular however has been very poor in recent years.

Top level players at Youth level can carry a team. If anyone saw Wayne Rooney play for Everton in 2002 in the Youth Cup, they would realise that real quality will shine through and will influence performance and results.

At present, this is not happening at City. I believe that the quality of home grown players is not good enough. The foreign imports are showing only glimpses of ability and they have and are not controlling games. Something is missing in the whole set up.

The whole structure of the youth set up seems to lack something. This includes overall management, coaching and scouting. City have been the most powerful player in the transfer market in recent years, however none of the youth buys have proven to be successful yet. I think Raheem Sterling should have been bought as a 15 year old and Paul Pogma would have been a great acquisition if we could have poached him from United (instead of going to Juventus).

If anyone thinks that the fantastic new Academy site will create success by itself also, they are wrong. Many of the most successful hotbeds of talent have had very limited and often ramshackle facilities, like the Russian tennis Academies. We as City fans should be demanding more at Youth level and expectations need to be raised.

Great post. The foreigners alone in the EDS have cost more than a top championship side and the home grown lads are all England & Ireland internationals.

The thing that bothers me about foreign imports is will we benefit from them in the future? Take Pozo for example, say he makes it and then exceeds. Real Madrid are just going to come calling and he will be off before we see him in his peak. Same with Marcos Lopes, if Barca or Madrid want him he will go. All Iberian players do.

WNRH said:
StockportJB76 said:

Great post. The foreigners alone in the EDS have cost more than a top championship side and the home grown lads are all England & Ireland internationals.

The thing that bothers me about foreign imports is will we benefit from them in the future? Take Pozo for example, say he makes it and then exceeds. Real Madrid are just going to come calling and he will be off before we see him in his peak. Same with Marcos Lopes, if Barca or Madrid want him he will go. All Iberian players do.

we'll make a profit, goes on the books, shows we've developed a lad and entices more players to come and hopefully means we get to keep future European stars.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
WNRH said:
StockportJB76 said:

we'll make a profit, goes on the books, shows we've developed a lad and entices more players to come and hopefully means we get to keep future European stars.

You sound like an Arsenal fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.