The Offside Rule is stupid !

Heidenreich

Team supported
City
Created to avoid Goal hanging and now it's only used to offside Traps and millimeters Offside Decision.

It effectively robs attackers Instincts and prevents Goals. Was furious to see how Liverpool always tried to offside trap and our attackers had to adjust.

Horrible Horrible Rule atm

The rule is fine ,interpretation is wrong, I thought though after lat season the VAR was changed to thicker lines and if the lines overlapped it wasn't offside. Did I imagine that ?
No. Just like I didn't imagine the "We'll give the benefit of doubt to the attacking player in tight decisions' ruling.

VAR was not introduced for decisions like that. Surely some margin for error has to be introduced to give the advantage to the striker?
The 'margin of error' can be applied subjectively which leaves it wide open to corruption, manipulation and unconscious bias.

VAR for offside decisions is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE. Unless they improve the technology (more cameras, higher frame rates and tighter calibration of the timing signals) then it never will be fit for purpose, unless of course that purpose is corrupt intent.

I don’t think the rule is stupid, but it’s implementation with VAR definitely needs improving. I also think it’s being manipulated to get the outcome that the refs/PL favour.

For me, it’s all about the frame they use for the offside image. It’s needs to be consistent but it rarely is.

Some use the frame when the ball first hits the attackers foot when playing a pass and others use the frame when the ball has just left the foot. It might not seem like a big difference but it is the difference between a goal like Sterling’s yesterday.

If it was up to me, the image when the ball first hits the attackers foot is when the pass has started. That frame should be used and will give the benefit to the attacker like it should be.

I don’t think the rule is stupid, but it’s implementation with VAR definitely needs improving. I also think it’s being manipulated to get the outcome that the refs/PL favour.

For me, it’s all about the frame they use for the offside image. It’s needs to be consistent but it rarely is.

Some use the frame when the ball first hits the attackers foot when playing a pass and others use the frame when the ball has just left the foot. It might not seem like a big difference but it is the difference between a goal like Sterling’s yesterday.

If it was up to me, the image when the ball first hits the attackers foot is when the pass has started. That frame should be used and will give the benefit to the attacker like it should be.
This highlights A MAJOR problem with the current tech in that there aren't enough camera angles covered, so it's not always possible see an angle that shows clear daylight between the ball and the player making the pass. In this instance it is is literally just guesswork as to which is the correct time frame to use for the pass being made.

Another problem is camera frame rate. If we consider Phil Foden at a top speed of 37.12km/h, or 10.331 m/s then at a frame rate of 50 fps then there is a 20.6cm difference from 1 frame to the next. Even if you consider him running at half that speed it's still over 10cm, and they draw lines that show people offside by A TOENAIL.

For reference the cameras used for sprint race photo finishes are 10,000 fps, albeit scanning a smaller area.

The BIGGEST problem is the twats that operate it.

Last edited:
The rules are inconsistent at present. If the whole of the ball has to be over the line for a goal, out of play or not in the corner quadrant then the whole of the attacker should have to be in front of the defender to be offside.
Ive always thought this....if we want more goals in football then the whole player has to be off, ie a gap between the line of the players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.