The old Kippax remembered

AJ71 said:
uweuweuwe said:
top left hand corner next to away fans was the place to be remember the sunderland game when we sent them down.

Used to love it when you walked into the car park and if there was a large away following there would be loads of coaches on the left hand side. It used to always guarantee a cracking atmosphere.

Fantastic away support that day, coaches parked up on the road all the way up to Platt Lane complex.

Was one of the best away followings ive seen at City. Before they parked there though, they used to park on Hough End fields. Us Stretford Blues would get off at the princess pub and already know how big the away support would be before getting to the ground. Often though we would arrive at the same time, and being kids we were ok, but ive seen some sights. ( scousers on Princess Road jumping all over the roofs of cars at the lights ). The worse thing about that Sunderland match, was that we headed for the Parkside, but it was already full of wearsiders and another hundred drinking out the front. Remember seeing a few of City's firm around, but they didnt try anything, and i dont blame them. Getting to grounds early was the easy way to take liberties, and when it was pay at the gate, you could fill half the ground. The night games like Boro were magic, and the games v Juventus, Moenchengladbach etc leave great memories.

In the last days of the old Kippax I had to avoid walking too close to the ambulance parked in the corner between the Kippax and the North Stand.

If I did all the presets on my personal radio were wiped out with a horrible loud squeaking noise and I had to reset them.

IOWBlue said:
AJ71 said:
uweuweuwe said:
top left hand corner next to away fans was the place to be remember the sunderland game when we sent them down.

Used to love it when you walked into the car park and if there was a large away following there would be loads of coaches on the left hand side. It used to always guarantee a cracking atmosphere.

Fantastic away support that day, coaches parked up on the road all the way up to Platt Lane complex.

Was one of the best away followings ive seen at City. Before they parked there though, they used to park on Hough End fields. Us Stretford Blues would get off at the princess pub and already know how big the away support would be before getting to the ground. Often though we would arrive at the same time, and being kids we were ok, but ive seen some sights. ( scousers on Princess Road jumping all over the roofs of cars at the lights ). The worse thing about that Sunderland match, was that we headed for the Parkside, but it was already full of wearsiders and another hundred drinking out the front. Remember seeing a few of City's firm around, but they didnt try anything, and i dont blame them. Getting to grounds early was the easy way to take liberties, and when it was pay at the gate, you could fill half the ground. The night games like Boro were magic, and the games v Juventus, Moenchengladbach etc leave great memories.

I remember walking around the ground before that Sunderland game - never seen so many beer cans all on the floor around the ground! Heard the Parkside had been ''taken'' (never went in there at all!).
Thing is, we needed to win as well, to get 5th spot and above the rags for the first time in many a year...... White got the last minute winner, felt sorry for the Mackems, but delighted for us!

ytic04 said:
Sure that scum match was a night match.
The first game was a Saturday and was a draw at Wembley, I stand corrected as the scum won the replay at Maine Road. Still looks way too much red in there for my liking on that picture.

The best ever rock concert at Maine Road!

MT_081_edited-1.jpg

IOWBlue said:
AJ71 said:
uweuweuwe said:

I rememeber that Sunnerlan game. One of the best games i remember at Maine Road. Arrived early and it was one of the few times we struggled to get into our own pubs. Sunnerlan fans sat outside everyshop with piles of ale, couldnt buy a tin of ale for half a mile around the ground, sold out.

At the end of the game, Sunderland fans were singing anti manyoo songs and city were singing you'll be back and if you hate noocastle songs

Ended up with scarves being thrown back and too over the fence in the kippax, i've still got a sunnerland milk cup scarf somewhere.

great game.

ytic04 said:
mcfc9.jpg
[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bloody hell ............. the old corner between the Kippax side and the North stand ....... that takes me back 30 odd years.

Before the advertising boards were put up my Dad used to sit me on that back wall as a kid ... 7 or 8 I was ....... it was a shear drop on the other side of about 30 foot onto rubble.

Then growing up I was allowed down to the front of that section right by the corner flag. .... then as you got older you moved along and upwards until you reached the choir / singing section .................. it was like the "Seven ages of man" back then and the pinnacle was singing in the choir section next to the away fans.

.................. the kids today will never experience that with the all seater stadium.

Anyone remember the tiny 'hut' bar behind the Kippax at the Platt Lane end ?

Before they put in the away fans segregation a crowd of us used to stand right where they put the fence. We used to call it the 'Tunnel Bar' (it was right by the exit tunnel) and at the half-time whistle we'd dash out to grab a couple of beers. There was rarely a queue and it seemed like hardly anyone knew it existed.

Mind you, they only had bottled Greenalls and it was crap.
That was probably why the bar was always quiet.<br /><br />-- Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:07 pm --<br /><br />
Kakhaber Tskhadadze K.O.T.A. said:
ytic04 said:
mcfc9.jpg
[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bloody hell ............. the old corner between the Kippax side and the North stand ....... that takes me back 30 odd years.

Before the advertising boards were put up my Dad used to sit me on that back wall as a kid ... 7 or 8 I was ....... it was a shear drop on the other side of about 30 foot onto rubble.

Then growing up I was allowed down to the front of that section right by the corner flag. .... then as you got older you moved along and upwards until you reached the choir / singing section .................. it was like the "Seven ages of man" back then and the pinnacle was singing in the choir section next to the away fans.

.................. the kids today will never experience that with the all seater stadium.

Sunshine Corner as we used to call it. We would occasonally stand there early in the season when the weather was good. A game I particularly recall standing there was Fenerbahce in the European Cup. Also 0-0 against the Rags the same season, when we were Champions and they were European Champions. I remember watching all the bricks and bottles flying from one end of the Kippax to the other. That was a day I was glad NOT to be in the Kippax.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.