The Origin of the Term 'Rags'

Ardwick Green Blue

There is a convoluted story about United being called the Rags involving them not being able to afford proper kits far back in time but I'm not at all convinced by this. I can't recall them being called Rags in the 60s & 70s but maybe in the 80s I can remember them being referred to as the Jam Rags (used tampons in Manchester parlance) & I've always thought that was the start of the Rags nickname.

Am I on my own with this?

There is a convoluted story about United being called the Rags involving them not being able to afford proper kits far back in time but I'm not at all convinced by this. I can't recall them being called Rags in the 60s & 70s but maybe in the 80s I can remember them being referred to as the Jam Rags (used tampons in Manchester parlance) & I've always thought that was the start of the Rags nickname.

Sounds legit.

European Cup final kit was made from rags was what I heard.

Umbro made it and the company was owned by City directors.

I may be wrong but they're cunts rather than rags.

A "Rag" is a slang word for a female sanitary towel, commonly made from old rags before the invention of wings. These Rags turned red (obviously) from menstruation, which is the colour of United.

So when you call them "Rags" , you are calling them used female sanitary products

Yes, Jam rags, thats where it came from.

You’re most definitely not on your own, OP. I assumed that to be the origin too, even though everyone else denies it. I thought I was alone.

Rags in the sense of tatty kit isn’t even an insult worth the name. Jam rags on the other hand...

Although the term is supposed to date to the 30s, I too NEVER heard it used in the 60s or 70s. And that was despite being an avid utd hater who used to stand on the Kippax.

We’ve had previous threads on this subject where the derivation “jam rags” is contradicted with so-called historical evidence. Even by our writer friend. However I remain highly sceptical.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.