The Pep effect at grassroots

Vic

Anyone else involved in grassroots football noticed the change? I run the line occasionally and they're all playing out from the back rather than have the keeper hoof it. We had one team (bottom of the league) trying it yesterday and with the other team pressing they still managed to work it out to midfield and set up attacks.

That’s brilliant if pep changes the perception of long ball football which in reality the ball comes straight back with an attack.

It was like that 14 years ago, just how far do you expect u7's - u11's keepers to kick the ball, teams I always helped at and played against often just rolled the ball out and passed it around instead of hoofing, basically because they are too small to hoof it.

Pub football however remained hoof ball for as long as I played football lol

I took a team from my school to a tournament and I had them (trying to) playing out from the back. Got the defenders to split to give ederson, I mean the kid who was in net, options to pass to and the midfielder (fernandinho) dropping deep to collect the ball.
Was a bit like city last season though and they weren't very good at it.

I took a team from my school to a tournament and I had them (trying to) playing out from the back. Got the defenders to split to give ederson, I mean the kid who was in net, options to pass to and the midfielder (fernandinho) dropping deep to collect the ball.
Was a bit like city last season though and they weren't very good at it.
Were the older parents calling for you to bring back (Hart)?

I coach a grassroots team and we still hoof it out from the back - but that's because it is generally the only way we can score. when they try and play out from the back we get mullered. In my head I'm Pep but in my heart I know I'm Tony Pulis.

In my defence I haven't instructed them to play like that, they've just worked out that's what works.

I'm hoping the Pep effect is being felt at Grassroots level - as I'm currently organising a MCFC Fans v MUFC fans game on Friday 14th December 2018

8pm-9pm Denton Youth FC, 10 King Street, Denton M34 6HE

Give us a shout if you are up for it!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.