The price of fish.

BlueMoonRisin’

Took my old dear shopping to Bury market today and was shocked to see how much the cost of fresh fish is. Iirc haddock and cod were selling at £16 per kilo, hake 18 halibut 22 and a kilo of fresh scollops were £24 per kilo!

Fish has become ridiculously expensive way beyond the budget of many. Many reasons for this. I know quite a few of the reasons why.

Discuss.

I get mine delivered to the door freezerful at one go! Barton-on-Humber - cod, salmon, plaice, mackerel - virtually any fish yer want. Wonderful fish. I've just had a smoked kipper for my dinner.
Ooo, a smoked kipper, you're a lucky man. I'd always buy them vacuum sealed in the Isle of Man, haven't had one for years

I get mine delivered to the door freezerful at one go! Barton-on-Humber - cod, salmon, plaice, mackerel - virtually any fish yer want. Wonderful fish. I've just had a smoked kipper for my dinner.
I like smoked kippers. Best ones I've recently were from the last fishmonger remaining on Dewsbury market.( My mum likes her markets) Boneless Scotch kippers with a knob of butter in the pack. Lovely with a lancs oven bottom muffin.

What are their prices like mate?

images

We use a fishmongers in Aberystwyth, usaully buy a side of Cod,Salmon,and Haddock, cut them up and freeze. To be fair there's not much difference to the fish on sale at Aldi or Diddle.
The good thing about using a local guy though is that we can buy local crab and when in season, local mackeral. The names of the boat are on the boxes, a nice little touch for the eco mentalists.
His pickled herrings are made locally though with fish from the the northeast. When we go down to Haverfordwest we buy from a ladies kitchen....her husband is a local fisherman, mainly crab and lobster, all caught in pots just off shore. Ironically I was watching him fishing last week. Doesn't come much fresher than that.

Fresh fish has always been expensive in my experience in the catering industry.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.