The price of football and falling attendances

gh_mcfc said:
Thats the point though. In some areas of the country especially London this will be the case. Elsewhere it wont be.

Away attendances are dropping off everywhere due to ticket prices. If you have a season ticket you tend not to notice costs for 1 of home games especially as many cup games are reduced.

Those without STs pick and choose game and go a lot less frequently in my experience.
This is what I'm trying to get at really. Are the people that now pick and choose the games the ST holders of the past? Or are ST holders continuing to pay the increasing ST prices so they aren't exposed to the one-off ticket prices. I tend to think it's the latter, and loyalty maybe clouds the judgement of some fans, so clubs have got you over a barrel really.

mancitytmdanttom said:
gh_mcfc said:

Thats the point though. In some areas of the country especially London this will be the case. Elsewhere it wont be.

Away attendances are dropping off everywhere due to ticket prices. If you have a season ticket you tend not to notice costs for 1 of home games especially as many cup games are reduced.

Those without STs pick and choose game and go a lot less frequently in my experience.

That's where you're wrong - I'm a season ticket holder (Have been since we moved in the new stadium) and I go to as many away games as possible (Only missed 1 this season so far and only missed 4 last season) - And have not missed a home game since 2003

Congratulations but I wont bore you with my CV... However people are going to less away games because they cant afford it not just City Fans and that is a Rafa style FACT.

mancitytmdanttom said:
gh_mcfc said:

That's where you're wrong - I'm a season ticket holder (Have been since we moved in the new stadium) and I go to as many away games as possible (Only missed 1 this season so far and only missed 4 last season) - And have not missed a home game since 2003

Ah yes, I can see the extensive evidence data you've compiled using your sample of 1.

Very relevant thread, Denis.......

The price of watching football in the country is extortionate - not least for people like me who to have to travel from the south ( Kent ) to watch City at home. Nowadays I mostly go to away games due to the cost of both the match ticket at COMS and the rail fare.

Not only is the cost of the match ticket high but everything else associated with it such as travel, drink, food ( at the grounds ) programme and the shirts etc. Unfortunately for the fan, the game seems to be recession proof - most Prem games are sold out and, if not, are over 80% full for most games. This generates huge revenues for the clubs. Take into cosideration the television and advertising revenues and the clubs are NOT going to reduce prices anytime soon.

The Bundesligue is mentioned; assuming ' Wikipedia ' is correct, the average attendance for the German League is 42,400 with The Premier League at some 36,000 - when you take into account the difference in cost to watch the relevant League, The Prem probably takes more money at the gate. Added to that the Prem has a world wide audiance especially in Asia where the Bundesliga is not so well supported/broadcast, the extra revenues to the Prem clubs means that we can afford to pay the higher salaries therefore getting the better players. Add to this thirdly that The Championship is the 5th best supported league in Europe, The Prem sits very nicely in terms of money made. This all adds to the cost of us, the fan, watching the product.

Whilst I agree and have mentioned that we are paying over the odds to watch the game over here, it is successful. Where it will all end is another story and I can't see - apart from Chelsea, us and maybe one or 2 others - how it can continue.

I agree with other comments on here that the atmosphere at grounds needs to improve and is behind The Bundesliga in this respect. Standing won't come back in the forseeable future here which won't help - the Germans seem to have that sorted.

What is interesing is that the top 7 or 8 German clubs average over 40,000 - Dortmund at over 80,000 and a few in the 55 - 75,000; we don't have that but what we do is that under 40,000 in Germany, the next club has below 26,000 where as ours declines with a few in the 30,000 mark.

As a season ticket holder i think the price is value for money for the Football we are watching i do however think the price for a lot of away games is now taking the piss. Something has to be put in place to make it better for the away fans. Teams in London charge London prices even though the travelling fan is not on a London wage. I was gutted when Bolton and Blacburn got relegated. A local away game and not to badly priced

mancitymick said:
As a season ticket holder i think the price is value for money for the Football we are watching i do however think the price for a lot of away games is now taking the piss. Something has to be put in place to make it better for the away fans. Teams in London charge London prices even though the travelling fan is not on a London wage. I was gutted when Bolton and Blacburn got relegated. A local away game and not to badly priced
Its going to get worse mate Crystal Palace are going up so that could be 7 teams from london in the premiership.

I remember the early seventies home attendances of around 30,000 average apart from against scum,sheep shaggers and got to pick a pocket or two and that was when it was fairly cheap and you could pay at the turnstile if you coudn't jump it or climb over.City could pull a big crowd back then when the right fixture came up.

I remember the old main stand in central league fixture's when you could shout come on City and 10 minutes later the sound of your own voice returned in stereo.I think City payed us to watch these fixtures judging by the few hundred who bothered to turn up.The bovril was extra salty to boost drink sales and the team sheet could be made into paper aeroplanes and if it was now would have EITAD written down the side's.

alky313 said:
The atmosphere is "worse" because the kinds of fans that make the noise are no longer able to afford tickets.
Plus and (I'm not being sexist) but why do the wags bother coming if all they're gonna do is bring a book or fuck about on their phones?i've seen many men being henpecked by their women during the game.

What falling attendances?

This is complete fantasy.

I can recall City winning the League Championship in 1967-8 when only the match against United at Maine Road attracted more than the lowest home crowd over the last two seasons.

Stop whining.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.