The rise and rise of Manchester City....

levets said:
Blue Theatre said:
Talking of Ipswich, I went to a game at Maine Road once against the self-styled "Tractor Boys" - we were both struggling as I recall so it was a potential six-pointer. We hadn't won in ages but amazingly went 2-0 up.

Then it rained and the ref abandoned it.

I have a memory of the Ipswich players celebrating the abandonment as though they had won the cup - I can still see Ian Marshall skipping across the pitch to their fans with his arms in the air.
Then I just had to leave in the rain, get soaked, and drive home - all for nothing.

One of those days when you wondered why you had bothered getting out of bed.

And if I recall correctly... we lost the replayed game!

You don't. We won the rearranged fixture 2-1 on Franny's unveiling as the chairman. David Rocastle set up Carl Griffiths with a delightful piece of skill.

StrangewaysHereWeCome said:
Der Bomber said:
rag vermin used to say that CITY stood for "Conference In Two Years"during that particular season.
, then to get back in the top flight again followed by another relegation ... some football fans don't know they're born.

When that happened (when Ipswich beat us and we went back down, someone at work literally accused me and other other blues of being masochists. She meant it in the true sense of the word, or so she said. Then again she was a red dipper. These people don't know the meaning of the word loyalty.

Talking to the taxi driver who was a Bury fan who then proceeded to lord it over me as we were in a lower division than them at the time, not to mention the defeats against them ffs. Fucking Bury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thankfully it wasn't too long before normal service was resumed. Although it seemed a lifetime lol.

Balti said:
Talking to the taxi driver who was a Bury fan who then proceeded to lord it over me as we were in a lower division than them at the time, not to mention the defeats against them ffs. Fucking Bury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thankfully it wasn't too long before normal service was resumed. Although it seemed a lifetime lol.
Hard to imagine it now, but that actually bloody happened. Anybody who was involved in the playing/management/administration side of the club at the time should hang their heads in shame. Wardle and Makin excepted (think they were around at that time).

jimharri said:
Balti said:
Hard to imagine it now, but that actually bloody happened. Anybody who was involved in the playing/management/administration side of the club at the time should hang their heads in shame. Wardle and Makin excepted (think they were around at that time).

Off, ffs, I don't even remember being in a lower division than Bury. Dear God.

Middlesborough were another side who always seemed to have the hoodoo over us.
I think we went about 30 years before we finally beat them at Ayresome Park/The Riverside.
And who can forget the match when they didn't have a shot on goal,until Sun Jihai managed to turn a hopeful cross into his own net.
And then to really rub it in they managed to beat us to a Uefa Cup slot in the last game of the season with almost the last kick,courtesy of Robbie and Mark Schwarzer.
Now playing in a half full stadium in mid table Championship obscurity.

Pam said:
jimharri said:
Balti said:

Off, ffs, I don't even remember being in a lower division than Bury. Dear God.

And we were so poor that the Bury players didn't think it was a particularly big deal. Just read a book by a journey man footballer Peter Swann who was playing for Bury at the time and it had hardly gets a mention

Prestwich_Blue said:
MCFCDroylsdenBlue said:
2006-07
1 Manchester United
2 Chelsea
3 Liverpool
4 Arsenal
5 Tottenham Hotspur
6 Everton
7 Bolton Wanderers
8 Reading
9 Portsmouth
10 Blackburn Rovers
11 Aston Villa
12 Middlesbrough
13 Newcastle United
14 Manchester City
15 West Ham United
16 Fulham
17 Wigan Athletic
18 Sheffield United
19 Charlton Athletic
20 Watford

Of the 14 teams above us 7 of them have been relegated and one of them is in League 2!
Frightening looking at that table. Outside the top 6 only us and Villa haven't been relegated since then and 9 of the 14 are still down there.

Ah this is the City I know!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.