"The Sancho Narrative" vs patience

Thaksinssoldier

Ok I wanted to make this separate from any thread on Jadon himself as this isn't about his performance, but more about the media and their portrayal of his move and it's supposed benefits vs what Phil and Zinchenko chose to do.

To re-cap;

Sancho leaves for first team opportunity as he doesn't believe he'll get it at City. Fine, his prerogative. He's done okay, gotten some games, made some impact and is now an England international.

Foden is the closest comparion as he's English and was in the same team. His loyalty to his boyhood club probably blinded him a little and he decided to bed in, sign a new contract, not get much game time but has seen the field a decent amount for a kid his age.

Zinchenko, similar age, being used as a utility player, bides his time and then gets told he's off to a very good Wolves team. He turns it down and the consensus is he's mad. Sits down, waits, waits some more...Mendy injured and Delph collapses and he gets his shot.

So with a little hindsight now the CL knockouts have started, we've won a league cup and are in the hunt for 3 trophies.

Foden has stood out in his cameos and has 6 goals I believe? Some in the cups and one in the CL knockouts from a 30 min spell.

Zinchenko was pivotal in beating Chelsea in cup and has secured the left back spot in one of the toughest teams in football to break into.

Sancho had zero impact in the Dortmund games vs Spurs and was largely a passenger, which is naturally expected for a kid his age on such a stage.

So...why are we all being fed a narrative players of this age need to leave? I'd argue of the 3 mentioned Sancho is actually doing the worst and just getting more games and having flashes shouldn't undermine the growth we are seeing in Foden and Zinhcliffe and they are actually developing better because of their patience and willingness to bide their time under a great coach. I haven't even added Brahim in, but at such an early stage he's done nothing since moving.

So I ask all, your thoughts on who's made the better moves here and can anyone actually state a case at this point that it is Sancho?

The reason Sancho is in the Dortmund team is pretty simple. City are a far better team than Dortmund

He wants to play full-time, fair enough, I don't blame him for going and if he gets a £100million transfer this summer than it's been the right decision for him. Good luck to him. But I think each case has to be taken on its merits and there is no one-size fits all when it comes to player development

The reason Sancho is in the Dortmund team is pretty simple. City are a far better team than Dortmund

He wants to play full-time, fair enough, I don't blame him for going and if he gets a £100million transfer this summer than it's been the right decision for him. Good luck to him. But I think each case has to be taken on its merits and there is no one-size fits all when it comes to player development

Indeed, and I can get behind him having the backbone to go there, rather than sign for a Newcastle for example, so I'm not looking to bash the lad.

BUT... the media have all acted like he made a move Foden should have and therefore by extension Zinchenko should have. But right now, today(so rule out the future of possible transfers etc), no one can surely say he made a better play than they did, considering both have featured in the CL, Zinchenko's rise to first team key player right now and Foden scoring in the last 16 with a quarter of the game time Sancho had and he didn't make any impact whatsoever.

In a year, Sancho could be at Real and we're back to "what a great move" but today, he's out of the CL and failed to help prevent that and our pair's stock has really risen.

I think all three of them made the right decision.
I agree with that. I agree with the OP too in that even though all three made the right decision it’s being portrayed that Sancho - and thus future lads in similar situations - is the one that made the right decision and that’s what they all should do.

Fodens being beautifully integrated one day he will start 2 prem games running and wont feel the pressure will be able to perform and feel like he's been a 1st team player for years. Zinchenko slightly different but the lad can play made some mistakes which we all saw but has grown and improved and again must be feeling now like an integral part of squad. Sancho could turn out to be a world beater or burn out certainly shouldn't be in England squad yet and would probably been better with a Foden type introduction to top level. I think that reaching the top is as much about mental strength as ability at this level.

I agree with that. I agree with the OP too in that even though all three made the right decision it’s being portrayed that Sancho - and thus future lads in similar situations - is the one that made the right decision and that’s what they all should do.

I agree with that as well mate. I don't see any of them talking about Denis Saurez.

So if he gets a 110 mil move and then doesn't play, is it a good move because of the money, or a bad move. Because this could happen if he goes to a top club.?

Exactly, I'm not trying bash Sancho here at all, as it probably was the right move for him.

But his move likely influenced Brahim due to the positive spin put on it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.