The Smiths & Morrissey thread

35 years ago today - 16th June 1986.
The greatest album ever. EVER. Was released....
Bought it from HMV, got home and recorded it onto a tape with the sound off - as a promise to my best mate Jim.
Then got in the car, picked him up and together we listened to it for the first time all the way down to Glastonbury (over and over again).
Wow what an album - and I knew upon my first listen that There Is A Light That Never Goes Out would be a timeless classic and it remains that to this day.

What a trip that was..... Psychedelic Furs, The Waterboys, The Cure, Van Morrison, Lloyd Cole & The Commotions, Boot Hill Foot Tappers.... £27 a ticket.
Missed The Houemartins as it was England v Argentina on the Sunday and they were on at 1pm but we left at noon to beat the traffic and race back home to Sale.
And all the way home..... we played The Smiths.
Happy 35th birthday TQID.... playing it now to celebrate. (Haven't heard it since last Thursday)
View attachment 19423
Not sure it’s great. Good yes, great I’m not convinced. Opening track is pure brilliance as is I know it’s over, there is a light but the rest is a bit “light” for me. Vicar, Shankly, Cemetry Gates, and two fairly good but not brilliant singles.
Don’t think the compilation albums can be topped , Bombs, Hatful, World are all absolutely jam packed with musical dynamite. Not studio albums but unalloyed brilliance nonetheless.
And Judge Weeks is dead!

Not sure it’s great. Good yes, great I’m not convinced. Opening track is pure brilliance as is I know it’s over, there is a light but the rest is a bit “light” for me. Vicar, Shankly, Cemetry Gates, and two fairly good but not brilliant singles.
Don’t think the compilation albums can be topped , Bombs, Hatful, World are all absolutely jam packed with musical dynamite. Not studio albums but unalloyed brilliance nonetheless.
And Judge Weeks is dead!

Your a pain in the arse mr Shankly ;-)

And Judge Weeks is dead!
You need a 6 month ban for such blasphemy..... lol

I saw The Smiths on TQID tour at Gloucester Leisure Centre. Got the ticket off someone at school for £4 iirc - bet he regrets that now.

Great gig and The Woodentops who were the support act were also very good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.