The Smiths & Morrissey thread

I was there. Only my second gig ever.
Missed this one but saw them day before at gmex 10th summer festival
Definitely a gig for a time machine trip, should have chanced it and climbed through the toilet window like half the crowd if stories are to be believed

I was there. Only my second gig ever.
I'd been to Glastonbury and was driving home on the Sunday (we left at 1pm and missed The Housemartins because England v Argentina was in the evening)
Stopped at some services and bought the NME and saw an advert for The Smiths at Salford Uni and tickets were on sale that Friday - ie now 2 days ago.
Was fuming knowing they'd be sold out.....
First thing Monday I drive into town and go to Piccadilly Box office (downstairs of Piccadilly Records on Piccadilly) and ask...... 'sold out mate......'
'Do you know anyone else selling tickets?''
''You could try the student union building at the University...''

I find a phone box (no idea how I got the number, maybe the bloke at Picc Box Office gave it me?) and call...
'Hi, do you have any tickets for The Smiths left?''
''I'm not sure, dont think so, just let me check... hang on a few seconds....''
I hear the bloke ask someone and a few seconds later he comes back......
'Yes just a handful left''
OK, I just need 3 please... here's my name, I am in Manchester city centre right now and will be there in like 20 mins, please hold them for me....'
and off I go to Salford Uni.
I get to the reception at the Students Union office and say I have come to buy tickets for The Smiths.
'Sold out on Friday''
'But I called today and they said they had a handful and I said I'd be there asap''
'None left, they went really quick''
''Yes but I called like 30 mins ago and they said they had some left......''
''Honestly, they've all gone...'
''But... hang on.... if I call this office, who picks the phone up.... that's who I spoke to as it wasnt you... please call the number'
Receptionist calls the number
'Hi, Ive got someone here after Smiths tickets but I told them it was sold out....... you do..... is your name Phill?..... OK...... thanks...... he'll be down in 2 minutes with your tickets.....''

Best ever gig. People say The Smiths were a student band. Not at that time they weren't. I recall there were very few women there too - it was the closest Ive been to at a gig that had the atmosphere of a football match....
Chants of ''Salford, Salford, Salford' between each song, thankfully no one dared reply with the name of another town otherwise it would have kicked off. Morrissey defused the situation by replying in a childish manner ''Stretford, Stretford, Stretford...'' to much laughter and the Salford chants ceased after that.
I got split up from my mate Jim as the crowd was too-ing and frowing. The last song, Hand In Glove, I was next to some shaven headed, shirtless Grant Mitchell look a like and as the final lines of ''I know my luck too well, and I'll probably never see you again...'' we sang and danced facing each other and hugged at ther end..... i never did see him again.
Just an amazing gig, amazing weekend following the GMEX gig the day before.
1986 my all time favourite year.......

Last edited:
I'd been to Glastonbury and was driving home on the Sunday (we left at 1pm and missed The Housemartins because England v Argentina was in the evening)
Stopped at some services and bought the NME and saw an advert for The Smiths at Salford Uni and tickets were on sale that Friday - ie now 2 days ago.
First thing Monday I drive into town and go to Piccadilly Box office (downstais of Piccadilly Racords on Piccadilly) and ask...... 'sold out mate......'

I find a phone box (no idea how I got the number, maybe the bloke at Picc Box Office gave it me?) and call...
OK, I jst need 3 please... here's my name, I am in Manchester city centre right now and will be tere in like 20 mins, please hold them for me....'
I get to the reception at the Students Union office and say I have come to buy tickets for The Smiths.
'Sold out on Friday''
'But I called today and they said they had a handful and I said I'd be there asap''
''But... hang on.... if I call this office, who picks the phome up.... that's who I spoke to as it wasnt you... please call the number'
'Hi, Ive got someone here after Smiths tickets but I told them it was sold out....... you do...... OK...... thanks...... he'll be down in 2 minutes with your tickets.....''

Best ever gig. People say The Smiths were a student band. Not at that time they weren't. I recall there were very few women there too - it was the closest Ive been to at a gig that had the atmosphere of a football match....
Chants of ''Salford, Salford, Salford' between each song, thankfully no one dared reply with the name of another town otherwise it would have kicked off. Morrissey defused the situation by replying in a childish manner ''Stretford, Stretford, Stretford...'' to much laughter and the Salford chants ceased after that.
I got split up for my mate Jim as the crowd was too-ing and frowing. The last song, Hand In Glove, I was next to some shaven headed, shirtless Grant Mitchell look a like and as the final lines of ''I know my luck to well, and I'll probably never see you again...'' we danced facing each other and hugged at ther end..... i never did see him again.
@jimharri was at the gig with you????

First thing Monday I drive into town and go to Piccadilly Box office (downstais of Piccadilly Records on Piccadilly) and ask...... 'sold out mate......'

OK, I just need 3 please... here's my name, I am in Manchester city centre right now and will be there in like 20 mins, please hold them for me....'
'Sold out on Friday''
''But... hang on.... if I call this office, who picks the phone up.... that's who I spoke to as it wasnt you... please call the number'
'Hi, Ive got someone here after Smiths tickets but I told them it was sold out....... you do..... is your name Phill?..... OK...... thanks...... he'll be down in 2 minutes with your tickets.....''

I got split up from my mate Jim as the crowd was too-ing and frowing. The last song, Hand In Glove, I was next to some shaven headed, shirtless Grant Mitchell look a like and as the final lines of ''I know my luck too well, and I'll probably never see you again...'' we sang and danced facing each other and hugged at ther end..... i never did see him again.
Full gig is on YouTube. Sounds like a cracker.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.