The Smiths & Morrissey thread

I couldn’t disagree more. This is an ugly, crude lyric.

I think to compare it to Suffer Little Children is just wishful thinking on your part. Suffer Little Children is everything this new song is not. It had a genuine sense of empathy and was entirely lacking in the sensationalist language that Morrissey has chosen to employ on his latest song. Vaporisation? I really don’t know how anyone can read that line and not think it is sensationalist and entirely lacking in empathy with the victims and their families.

Similarly, his attack on the community response to the bombing by sneering at crowds of people singing Don’t Look Back In Anger is, in my view, spectacularly ill-judged. The response was based on the (again, in my view) wholly correct view that hatred should not be the response to the bombing and that extremism shouldn’t win - a view articulately expressed by Dan Hett, the brother of Martyn who was killed in the bombing.

Again, this song lacks any of the beauty and dignity of Suffer Little Children, a song that actually did speak to the sense of the collective view of the community and the sense of shared guilt felt as a result of the murders in the line “Oh Manchester, so much to answer for”.

I have a genuine, deep and lasting love for The Smiths. They were funny, charming, eloquent and warm. For many of us, they really did give us the songs that made us smile, made us cry and saved our lives.

But the Morrissey that wrote those songs is long gone, long consumed by hubris, vanity and bitterness.

Some of you appear so unable to see what is staring you in the face about what Morrissey is now, so invested in what he used to be that you’re unwilling to admit who he now is: an angry, embittered old man with increasingly dodgy views and lacking in any of the enormous charm, grace and style of his younger self.
Maybe that's because we are all 40yrs older and equally angry, embittered and also with increasingly dodgy views and lacking in any of the enormous charm, grace and style of our younger selves?
Opinions are like arseholes mate - the world would be poorer if we all shared the same one.

I couldn’t disagree more. This is an ugly, crude lyric.

I think to compare it to Suffer Little Children is just wishful thinking on your part. Suffer Little Children is everything this new song is not. It had a genuine sense of empathy and was entirely lacking in the sensationalist language that Morrissey has chosen to employ on his latest song. Vaporisation? I really don’t know how anyone can read that line and not think it is sensationalist and entirely lacking in empathy with the victims and their families.

Similarly, his attack on the community response to the bombing by sneering at crowds of people singing Don’t Look Back In Anger is, in my view, spectacularly ill-judged. The response was based on the (again, in my view) wholly correct view that hatred should not be the response to the bombing and that extremism shouldn’t win - a view articulately expressed by Dan Hett, the brother of Martyn who was killed in the bombing.

Again, this song lacks any of the beauty and dignity of Suffer Little Children, a song that actually did speak to the sense of the collective view of the community and the sense of shared guilt felt as a result of the murders in the line “Oh Manchester, so much to answer for”.

I have a genuine, deep and lasting love for The Smiths. They were funny, charming, eloquent and warm. For many of us, they really did give us the songs that made us smile, made us cry and saved our lives.

But the Morrissey that wrote those songs is long gone, long consumed by hubris, vanity and bitterness.

Some of you appear so unable to see what is staring you in the face about what Morrissey is now, so invested in what he used to be that you’re unwilling to admit who he now is: an angry, embittered old man with increasingly dodgy views and lacking in any of the enormous charm, grace and style of his younger self.
Maybe I am doing a Pep and "over thinking" this but with regards to the community singing in St Ann's Sq, I think it's not the song he is attacking (although he does use the title) but how we as a nation act in such circumstances since Diana's death. The openess of public grief and sheep like mentality of a good number of people - I personally cringed watching folk spend hours in line waiting to get a Bee tattoo in the wake of the tragedy. The tragedy was almost a side show in what became a "look at me" fashion accessory on social media.
And yet while this was all going on the families of 22 children and adults were mourning and being asked not to look back in anger but many of them would have been angry about the bombing and also the subsequent responses of the emergency services which led to a public enquiry.

He is just trying to out do Quilloughby, and let's be honest Quil and Lisa's single was as good as anything Moz has done on the last 18 years.

Maybe I am doing a Pep and "over thinking" this but with regards to the community singing in St Ann's Sq, I think it's not the song he is attacking (although he does use the title) but how we as a nation act in such circumstances since Diana's death. The openess of public grief and sheep like mentality of a good number of people - I personally cringed watching folk spend hours in line waiting to get a Bee tattoo in the wake of the tragedy. The tragedy was almost a side show in what became a "look at me" fashion accessory on social media.
And yet while this was all going on the families of 22 children and adults were mourning and being asked not to look back in anger but many of them would have been angry about the bombing and also the subsequent responses of the emergency services which led to a public enquiry.
How did you feel when City played "Don't Look Back In Anger" just after we lifted the title on the 5th anniversary of the bomb the other week?

How did you feel when City played "Don't Look Back In Anger" just after we lifted the title on the 5th anniversary of the bomb the other week?
To be honest as soon as the trophy was lifted NBC cut away back to the studio so had no knowledge of it.
Wouldn't have bothered me though. It's Morrissey's (perceived) viewpoint being discussed not mine - it was the Bee tattoos that I said got me shaking the head.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.