The Smiths & Morrissey thread

40 years ago today, on October 4th 1982 at The Ritz in Manchester, The Smiths played their first live gig.
Supporting Blue Rondo A La, Turk.
The Smiths played a short set of their own 3 songs “The Hand That Rocks the Cradle,” “Suffer Little Children,” and “Handsome Devil.” They also did a cover of The Cookies’ “I Want A Boy for My Birthday,”
The line up was Morrissey, Johnny Marr, Mike Joyce and Dale Hibbert (his one and only gig). James Maker introduced the band and apparently was a 'bit of a Bez maracas....
And the rest as they say.....Is history..

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Our Frank / Knockabout World / First Of The Gang To Die / Irish Blood, English Heart / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Rebels Without Applause / The Loop / Frankly, Mr. Shankly / I Am Veronica / My Hurling Days Are Done / Half A Person / Bonfire Of Teenagers / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Never Had No One Ever / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Our Frank / Knockabout World / First Of The Gang To Die / Irish Blood, English Heart / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Rebels Without Applause / The Loop / Frankly, Mr. Shankly / I Am Veronica / My Hurling Days Are Done / Half A Person / Bonfire Of Teenagers / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Never Had No One Ever / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan
It was a superb set delivered at a frantic pace at times with the new songs placed well in the set. He was happy, chatty and energetic in his delivery of the songs. The new songs sounded good on the whole and the backdrop to each song was a great idea. People were buzzing coming out of there. Never had no one ever was mesmerising and Hooligan to finish it off a perfect ending to a pretty perfect gig.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.