The Smiths & Morrissey thread

Didn’t you ring up the venue and get last minute tickets? Or something like that?!?
I'd been at Glastonbury and we drove back on the Sunday (missed the Housemartins because it was England v Argentina Hand of God game and wanted to be back in good time) and bought the NME and read the gig was announced and tickets went on sale on the Friday just gone.
On the Monday I went to Piccadilly Records box office at like 9.30am and was told sold out. She suggested contacting the Student Union itself.
So made a call (via directory of enquiries for the number at a phone box) and the person said they had a handful left. I gave my name and begged him to save me 3 tickets and I'd be there in less than half an hour and off we drive.
Gets to the student union reception and say I've come to collect the tickets
Sorry it's sold out
But I called just before and they said they had a few left and saved me 3
Sorry it sold out Friday
But I just called.....
Nothing more I can say, it's sold out......
So if I called the student union office, who receives the call, where are they as that's who I called? Please (by now in begging mode) please call them and ask them because the lad said they had some and he was saving me 3
(Bloke reluctantly makes a call)
Hi, yeah, got someone in reception saying you have 3 Smiths tickets for him, I thought it was sold out....... you do......are you Phill? (Me nodding excitedly)..... ok..... I'll come up and get them........

Last edited:
I'd been at Glastonbury and we drove back on the Sunday (missed the Housemartins because it was England v Argentina Hand of God game and wanted to be back in good time) and bought the NME and read the gig was announced and tickets went on sale on the Friday just gone.
On the Monday I went to Piccadilly Records box office at like 9.30am and was told sold out. She suggested contacting the Student Union itself.
So made a call (via directory of enquiries for the number at a phone box) and the person said they had a handful left. I gave my name and begged him to save me 3 tickets and I'd be there in less than half an hour and off we drive.
Gets to the student union reception and say I've come to collect the tickets
Sorry it's sold out
But I called just before and they said they had a few left and saved me 3
Sorry it sold out Friday
But I just called.....
Nothing more I can say, it's sold out......
So if I called the student union office, who receives the call, where are they as that's who I called? Please (by now in begging mode) please call them and ask them because the lad said they had some and he was saving me 3
(Bloke reluctantly makes a call)
Hi, yeah, got someone in reception saying you have 3 Smiths tickets for him, I thought it was sold out....... you do......are you Phill? (Me nodding excitedly)..... ok..... I'll come up and get them........
Bit more detail next time please pal!!

I was there Salford '86. My first Smiths gig and only my second gig ever after Half Man Half Biscuit the previous month.
Me and my mate were football casuals and everyone else there looked alternative so we felt a bit weird. And we certainly got stared at.
I can still remember what I'm was wearing , Light brown Lois corduroy trousers I think!

I remember seeing little Benny from Openshaw/Gorton outside the Smiths late '86 Free Trade Hall gig dunno if he was there as a fan or tout.

Went to watch a band called These Smiths last night. Self proclaimed best Smiths tribute band, singer loooked more like Lee Mack but if you closed your eyes he wasn’t bad. The band though were not the greatest and having watched a few of these, they were not as good as The Smyths and nowhere near that level. They did a few good tracks near the end though and for £11 it was a night out!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.