The Title Race - 2021/22

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ominously, Chelsea haven't dropped a point against any team not named City or Liverpool so far. However, if you're someone who uses xG you'd be interested to know that Chelsea are massively overachieving at both ends of the pitch, so they may drop off soon.

Liverpool are overachieving xG by a small amount, but fixture wise they've had a pretty easy start to the season. So we'll get a better idea of them at the mid season point.

I suspect Liverpool will be a bigger problem than Chelsea, and I can see them hitting 90 points. However I don't think they'll go much beyond that.

88 will be the magic number
I can't see it being that high. Runners up have only made it to 87 points twice in the PL era, and that includes the early years when teams played 42 games. Needs to be a two horse race with third a long way behind for runners up to get that many points and I don't see that happening this season.

Voted for 90-94. It's between US, Chelsea and Liverpool. We'll take points off eachother but will likely lose very few points to other sides.

This is going to be one of the closest title race since I've started watching the P/L IMO - 2010.

I can't see it being that high. Runners up have only made it to 87 points twice in the PL era, and that includes the early years when teams played 42 games. Needs to be a two horse race with third a long way behind for runners up to get that many points and I don't see that happening this season.
I looked at what we have after a relatively tough start
P9 - 20 points
One loss, two draws, six wins

Multiply it up, L4 D8, W24 gives 80 points from 36, so with a wins in games 37 & 38 and maybe one of the draws a win, that gives 88, not unrealistic

Chelsea and Liverpool will also be very close to that total and it may come down to the mini league of us, Chelsea and Liverpool

I looked at what we have after a relatively tough start
P9 - 20 points
One loss, two draws, six wins

Multiply it up, L4 D8, W24 gives 80 points from 36, so with a wins in games 37 & 38 and maybe one of the draws a win, that gives 88, not unrealistic

Chelsea and Liverpool will also be very close to that total and it may come down to the mini league of us, Chelsea and Liverpool
That’s certainly a possibility. As of now you could definitely see a three horse race with a huge gap to fourth. But I still reckon that mid 80s will be enough to guarantee the title.

I’ll update 538’s predictions after every match. At the moment 99.3% of City fans don’t agree yet 538’s starting prediction was only 1 point off last season.

So if clubs continue to perform as they are doing and taking into consideration current points and the fixtures they have remaining:

City 83

Liverpool 77

Chelsea 76

United 70

so currently 78 to win it

@chesterguy @St.Pauli support would be the only winners
Utd would do well to finish within 7 points of Liverpool & 6 of Chelsea, the way the season appears to be going ?

90pts. The Southampton draw was a real shame but our return is very good considering who we have played.

ACON could destroy Liverpool, Salah is carrying them. Chelsea will struggle against teams that defend in a compact manner and force them to break them down. I still think Tuchel's cautious approach in certain games will mean they draw too many.

The league is ours as long as we take our chances. Can see all three teams getting 85-90pts potentially, and it coming down to goal difference.

Injuries/covid could still play their part too. Having been to Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Leicester and Brighton who are in good form we are doing pretty well. A nice 15 game winning run now to establish ourselves would be typical of this City side under Pep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.