The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been looking at the table from four weeks ago, just before the Easter weekend fixtures on 8 and 9 April. Arsenal led us by eight points, though we had a game in hand. The respective goal differences were +45 for us and +43 for them.

Each side has played five league games since then, and we've made up nine points on them - i.e. we now lead by one, still with a game in hand. Their goal difference has actually regressed by one to +42, trailing us by 15 on that metric. It's a remarkable turnaround, really, and more than we had any right to expect a month ago - especially as we had both legs of a CL tie with Bayern Munich and a FA Cup semi in that period while Arsenal could concentrate on the PL.

It's a cliché that momentum is crucial in sport, but clichés become clichés because they contain a powerful element of truth and momentum really is vital. Here' the momentum is with us and we can afford to draw rather than win in two of our final five games, which gives us something of a buffer.

Of course, you never know in sport and it's far from impossible for Arsenal to win it from here. Let's take comfort in the fact we have one of the best coaches ever, a top group of assistants to back him up and some great players. Collectively, they've nearly all been there before and know what it takes even when there's constant pressure to win tough fixtures.

Personally, I don't hold with analysing what fixtures are left and where each side may or may not drop points. For me, the first principle is to focus on looking after what we can control, which means winning our own games. The second is to take the games one at a time. Hardly ground-breaking stuff, I know, but reading through this thread I see plenty who don't seem able to stick to these principles.

All that matters for now is to beat Leeds. Do that and we do what's in our control, which is to put Arsenal under pressure to keep a decent foothold in the race by winning away to a Newcastle side that's lost one league game at home all season. If we slip up tomorrow, so be it (though I'll be gutted). And if Arsenal manage to do win at St James's Park after what's happened in the last month, then we'll have to say fair play to them. They'll have put a bit of pressure back on us.

Then we have a tough game at Goodison against opponents fighting for their lives between the two legs of the Madrid tie. We've coped with challenges like that before, but let's not think now about what may or may not be a good result against Everton. Before reflecting on that, let's see what we do against Leeds, what Arsenal do on Tyneside and get the match in Madrid out of the way.

TL, DR - Anyone would rather be in our position than theirs, even if it's still no foregone conclusion. However, let's just take it one game at a time and try not to expend stress worrying about other fixtures long before the event.
Thinking back to where I was I was essentially hoping for a Liverpool draw, us beating them, and then just praying that we'd get something from one of the Newcastle or Brighton games. I just wanted to be still alive, it's really been a mad 3 or 4 weeks.

If we have the mindset that we can already afford to drop points and that Arsenal are going to drop further points still, I think we’ll lose out on the title.

The mindset has to be that Arsenal are going to win every single game comfortably and we have to do the same.
That’s what Pep will be telling them, win every game. Antonio said a few weeks ago that he had heard Arsenal players had started to talk about our results, look what that has done to them.

If we have the mindset that we can already afford to drop points and that Arsenal are going to drop further points still, I think we’ll lose out on the title.

The mindset has to be that Arsenal are going to win every single game comfortably and we have to do the same.

I'm pretty sure that, unknowingly or not, you're quoting Pep in the dressing room and on the training field there.

If Arsenal lose tomorrow, we could win it against Chelsea. A draw would mean we need a point from last 2 games. That's providing we win against Everton in next prem game though

Feel like Newcastle is going to take Arsenal down. Barcodes have looked very good of late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.