The Title Race - 2023/24

How many points will be needed to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Every year people say we won't go on long winning runs, we will struggle, we are tired etc etc. Yet this manager and all the players, past and present, consistently prove the doubters wrong. The media, Stuart Pearce, and any other clown can place their bets on Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool now if they want, my money would only ever be on one team.

One season we won't because Rodri will get injured or red carded again!

To early yet and it's the first time we have lost two quality players plus adding 4 new ones to bed in! It's going to be tight last 5 games of the season I'd guess

The irony being, that the last time we were ~10 points off the top, we still won the league.

That's fine, you see it from a different point of view, and one that is hypothetical rather than based on anything that has happened in the past.

It's very odd to have your point of view given than we are 2 points off the top, having played just 8 games, whilst missing 3 or 4 very important players for large parts of the season so far.

Any yes, I'm normally optimistic about a team that has won the last 3 leagues, and has just won a treble, why wouldn't you be?
Spot on!

We are two points off the lead after 8 games in season where, so far, we haven’t played at our best in a single game, we have been plagued by injuries, we lost Rodri for 3 games after a moment of madness and Haaland has been missing sitter after sitter.

You can stick all the money you like on Arsenal, Spurs and the Dippers but my gut tells me we will hit form soon, we will be back to full strength, Pep will finally figure out the conundrum of how to play without Rodri and Haaland will start scoring again.

We are two points off the lead after 8 games in season where, so far, we haven’t played at our best in a single game, we have been plagued by injuries, we lost Rodri for 3 games after a moment of madness and Haaland has been missing sitter after sitter.

You can stick all the money you like on Arsenal, Spurs and the Dippers but my gut tells me we will hit form soon, we will be back to full strength, Pep will finally figure out the conundrum of how to play without Rodri and Haaland will start scoring again.
Funnily enough, I don't think we played that well for much of the whole of last season, and we STILL won it.

The irony being, that the last time we were ~10 points off the top, we still won the league.

That's fine, you see it from a different point of view, and one that is hypothetical rather than based on anything that has happened in the past.

It's very odd to have your point of view given than we are 2 points off the top, having played just 8 games, whilst missing 3 or 4 very important players for large parts of the season so far.

Any yes, I'm normally optimistic about a team that has won the last 3 leagues, and has just won a treble, why wouldn't you be?

Not necessarily disagreeing, but your opinion is also hypothetical and it's disingenuous to compare previous seasons, because each campaign brings different challenges.

Currently, our biggest problem is how to find goals, or even create chances, (particularly in the away games) when Haaland is struggling.
Last season, we had De Bruyne at Leicester and Mahrez at Chelsea, whilst Gundogan relaxed any tension at Everton. Other players also chipped in at vital times, especially from set pieces.

I have every confidence in Gvardiol, Doku and Nunes slowly evolving into our system, but I don't see a lot of goals.

Of course, we can still win the league, but we'll need De Bruyne to hit the ground running in December, and no more injuries or stupid red cards.

Not necessarily disagreeing, but your opinion is also hypothetical and it's disingenuous to compare previous seasons, because each campaign brings different challenges.

Currently, our biggest problem is how to find goals, or even create chances, (particularly in the away games) when Haaland is struggling.
Last season, we had De Bruyne at Leicester and Mahrez at Chelsea, whilst Gundogan relaxed any tension at Everton. Other players also chipped in at vital times, especially from set pieces.

I have every confidence in Gvardiol, Doku and Nunes slowly evolving into our system, but I don't see a lot of goals.

Of course, we can still win the league, but we'll need De Bruyne to hit the ground running in December, and no more injuries or stupid red cards.
Yeah I get what you're saying, and agree that each season brings different challenges. Surely if you're going to form an opinion, you use more than purely the 8 games that have been played so far this season?

Do we really think Spurs can continue and win the league? No.

Do we think Villa are going to finish 5th? No.

Do we think United and Chelsea are going to finish 10th and 11th? I hope so!

And my rationale for the above, is because in short spells (8 games) the above assumptions could end up being wrong, but once you factor in the likelihood based on recent seasons, it's more likely that things will revert to type.

So, in 8 games, we can look a bit sluggish, lose twice, and be 2 points off the top. But I just don't see the need for panic, given we go through this same pattern most seasons. Last season we were crap up until the World Cup, was that a strategy? Perhaps this is a strategy ie to save room in the legs for latter parts of the season.

Who knows for sure, I'm not saying we are going to run away with it, but if we get our act together we're still far superior to the rest over the course of 38 games, IMO.

Yeah I get what you're saying, and agree that each season brings different challenges. Surely if you're going to form an opinion, you use more than purely the 8 games that have been played so far this season?

Do we really think Spurs can continue and win the league? No.

Do we think Villa are going to finish 5th? No.

Do we think United and Chelsea are going to finish 10th and 11th? I hope so!

And my rationale for the above, is because in short spells (8 games) the above assumptions could end up being wrong, but once you factor in the likelihood based on recent seasons, it's more likely that things will revert to type.

So, in 8 games, we can look a bit sluggish, lose twice, and be 2 points off the top. But I just don't see the need for panic, given we go through this same pattern most seasons. Last season we were crap up until the World Cup, was that a strategy? Perhaps this is a strategy ie to save room in the legs for latter parts of the season.

Who knows for sure, I'm not saying we are going to run away with it, but if we get our act together we're still far superior to the rest over the course of 38 games, IMO.
Of course we are...the fact that you, myself and others are on here trying to "convince" people that we're the best squad is simply ridiculous. The lack of faith and the ongoing doubts about this LEGENDARY side with it's LEGENDARY manager is so fucking annoying and disappointing coming from some of "our own". What side has anyone seen that we should be worried about outpacing us over 38 games? In the grand scheme of things this past week amounts to a bump in the road. several of which occur every season. If taken from a negative perspective as it appears some prefer, then who has less things to worry about than us? Is anyone from Arsenal, Spurs, or Liverpool "worrying" about Haaland kicking on, Stones and Rodri being back in, KDB coming back healthy, City's relentless winning mentality, our ability to go on long unbeaten runs, Pep's ability to make adjustments, and most importantly our track record. I know they damn well are. There's a reason we sit currently at -135 while the next best odds are miles off at +400 for Arsenal. So for those who don't believe it to be our year go take a bet on Arsenal or Liverpool at +600...It'll help build up the pot for those of us taking City at -135...

Track records mean very little as far as a team goes....however for a manager its different....we know Pep wont be happy with what he has seen vs Arsenal and Wolves...he may well be unhappy with HIS performance as manager in those games as well.

What Im sure of is that Pep will look at those losses and the rest of our performances this season (where besides the Newcastle game I think we have been below par) and know he will have to make adjustments - this is what he does...he reinvents something or completely changes it. I just hope it kicks in asap after the international break as we have Brighton, Bournmouth and then the rags.....That Brighton game could be really tasty and if we go into that below par we will get beat as they are a very good team...Pep will know this and hopefully it will refocus him and the team....

We just need a bit of luck with no injuries from the international break

Edit: as for the rest of the season I think it is important to recognise that Arsenal and the Scousers have improved upon where they were last season....Arsenal by a little, the scousers by more (however they are still a bit ropey defensively)...i also think some of the other teams like West Ham, Villa have improved and they make take points off of other top 4/6 contenders which will naturally make the league closer

I knew it wasn't true, what your lovely neighbours said about you Canadian chaps.

;-)

Track records mean very little as far as a team goes....however for a manager its different....we know Pep wont be happy with what he has seen vs Arsenal and Wolves...he may well be unhappy with HIS performance as manager in those games as well.

What Im sure of is that Pep will look at those losses and the rest of our performances this season (where besides the Newcastle game I think we have been below par) and know he will have to make adjustments - this is what he does...he reinvents something or completely changes it. I just hope it kicks in asap after the international break as we have Brighton, Bournmouth and then the rags.....That Brighton game could be really tasty and if we go into that below par we will get beat as they are a very good team...Pep will know this and hopefully it will refocus him and the team....

We just need a bit of luck with no injuries from the international break

Edit: as for the rest of the season I think it is important to recognise that Arsenal and the Scousers have improved upon where they were last season....Arsenal by a little, the scousers by more (however they are still a bit ropey defensively)...i also think some of the other teams like West Ham, Villa have improved and they make take points off of other top 4/6 contenders which will naturally make the league closer
How can a team's track record mean very little? Does Real Madrid's track record in the CL mean very little? They've fed off their track record to add to it with different managers and entirely different squads. You're stone cold wrong on this point...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.