The Title Race - 2023/24

How many points will be needed to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You know what's going on, right? A lot of teams are simply out of gas. Clear signs of it with Newcastle, this evening's match, Arsenal, Tottenham arguably. They are out of gas and running on empty. The effect of competing in Europe, going deep in the domestic cup currently taking place, a number of injuries to a squad that's simply too thin (not in terms of numbers, but in terms of genuine quality), that in itself partly due to the absurd amount of games that the same players from top clubs are having to play over and over, including stupid international ones.
Only Liverpool are still showing that they are thoroughly lively, and I do think that the departure of Salah and say one bad injury to a key player would change that considerably. We are, if anything, getting our second wind.

I hate the "but it's called the Champions League" debate. You're exactly right. There's a reason the current structure allows a 3rd place Prem team straight in and makes a lot of European champions go through qualifying.
I don’t have a problem with people taking issue with the name, or that they preferred the old format, or even that it was (subjectively) better, but to suggest it was harder to win under the previous format is simply wrong.

He's not talking about the Belgian league though, but about the PL. And the logic stands, if it has been done, it is 'easier' than something that hasn't.

I'd love us to win 4 in a row. And I think it is harder. Obviously either would be great, but for me 4 would be greater.

Say if we weren't to win it, the earliest we'd be in a position to even discuss it again, would be in another 4 years. Having had to win it 3 in a row first. For the CL, that's 2, and having to win it only once. For that alone, it surely is harder.

If people care mostly about City's standing in England, then 4 titles in a row is a more impressive achievement, as no other English team has ever done it. But another domestic title wouldn't increase the international reputation of the club as much as back to back CLs. So, there's this local vs global aspect of the situation.

I'd be more than happy with one of those titles.

If people care mostly about City's standing in England, then 4 titles in a row is a more impressive achievement, as no other English team has ever done it. But another domestic title wouldn't increase the international reputation of the club as much as back to back CLs. So, there's this local vs global aspect of the situation.

I'd be more than happy with one of those titles.

I disagree.

But like you, happy with either of them. Or even challenging to the end for either, truth be told. The team is certainly good enough for both, so let's hope and dream.

I don’t have a problem with people taking issue with the name, or that they preferred the old format, or even that it was (subjectively) better, but to suggest it was harder to win under the previous format is simply wrong.

You've only got to look at United's run for their first European Cup. They had Hibs, Sarajevo, Gornik Zábrze, Real and finally Benfica, who by that time were well past their great years. The only genuine big hitters in the whole lot were Real. And just setting aside the quality, look at the number of matches played — nine in all.
Last year we had to beat Dortmund in the group (ok. we didn't have to, but we did do it), Bayern, Real, and Inter in the knock-outs. One big hitter in the group stage, three unquestioned big hitters in the knock-out stages.
There's just no argument.

Last edited:
We have only lost one of the last five visits to Klanfield , Cancelo's brain fart seperated the teams last time , so their recent home record against us is nothing to fear .Looking at the Dippers form this season they are vulnerable away from home and i do not see that changing , but i can see us getting stronger with KDB ,Stones & Haaland playing regularly again.
We are still odds on at the bookies and i think they have got it right , time will tell.

Mad to think this time last year all the Cancelo drama and subsequent change in form hadn’t even happened yet.

Obviously any game at Anfield will be difficult, but our recent record there is not too bad.
It never felt quite like the curse was broken though for me when we beat them with no fans in the stands. Non the less it was a win though. I'd take a draw now personally.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.