The Title Race - 2023/24

How many points will be needed to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Listened to Football Weekly this morning. We got two minutes and it was basically them moaning that we'd already won the title having got themselves giddy last week that Newcastle were going to show us up.

It's annoying in its own way, but I think if we can put a half decent run together early days we could break a couple of teams before Christmas.

The main difference this season is all the supposed contenders are in Europe. Can only see that benefitting us further over the course of the season.

We’re so good now that the only things left to fight for are the Club World Cup (it’ll be a real disappointment if we don’t win that one but I think we’ll be fine), the Invincibles (probably just not realistic to ask the squad to go a whole season with no slip-ups) and… Chelsea’s defensive record.

14 goals or fewer conceded all season is an incredibly big ask but if anyone can do it, it’s Pep and this group of players. That’s what I have my eye on this season.

I don’t believe for a second that we’ll be relegated for the FFP charges but if we were, at least we could have a shot at the Europa League…
There are many more things than that to fight for.

No English club has ever won the Quadruple.
No English club has ever won four league titles in a row.
No English club has won back to back Champions Leagues (post-European Cup).
No European club has ever done a perfect league season (winning every league game).
No European club has won a perfect Champions League (Bayern did in 2019-20 but the quarters and semis were only 1 leg so nobody has ever had a full perfect one).
No European club has won a league and European Cup double after winning a treble since Ajax in 1973.
No European club has ever won back-to-back trebles.

Last edited by a moderator:
But let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves and think every season is now going to be like 2022-23!
However, this is a good point. Not every season will be like last season. I remember Vincent Kompany saying that when we won the league in 2012 it felt like we were going to win it every year from then on, then when we didn’t win it in 2013 it felt like we’d never win one again.

We’re on the crest of a wave at the moment but could end up with just (‘just’) the UEFA Super Cup and FIFA World Club Cup because we might not sign anymore players and have to face the full season with what we’ve got and come up short in the major trophies due to having such a small squad; we might sign another player or two and still come up short as it is a bit of a season where we’ve taken a step back subconsciously from the huge high of last season…

or we might be good but not great and again and win one major trophy; or we might find ourselves in a position to wipe the floor with all those targets above^… and while we’ve got Senyor Guardiola, that’s what he’ll be aiming for!

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.