The Torino - Man City link....

Fried Onions

Somewhere hidden in Guy Garveys' beard....
Am trying to understand how there is the apparent link between the 2 clubs. In May 1949 - all 31 of Torino's playing staff crashed into the Superga hill in Turin, there were no survivors.

I've heard the reasoning behind City and Torino being that 'there was ultimate respect from City, as they didn't milk it for all it's worth in the coming years/decades, the opposite of what happened at United'

Anyone shed anymore light on the subject ?

I think it's, at least in part, because we are considered the second club in our respective cities.

Juventus get nearly as much OTT publicity as scum.

Vienna_70 said:
I think it's, at least in part, because we are considered the second club in our respective cities.

Juventus get nearly as much OTT publicity as scum.

I always assumed it was just this too. Hence a lot of City fans (though not all) would probably naturally gravitate to Atletico instead of Real, 1860 Munchen instead of Bayern if uprooted to those cities.

Interestingly City will probably pick up a much larger nationwide support in the next decade. It will be interesting to see how this impacts on things. I don't think it will affect this preference for 'second' teams in European cities that City fans often have, not for a much longer time - too much of our fanbase, even those who are really young right now, will have grown up with the being the second most successful team in the city that bears the club's name for that.

But it will no doubt affects perceptions of us, people will start to see the Manchester rivalry as more of an equal AC-Inter type situation. It really wouldn't take much for a lot of people to start thinking like that, just a few titles and cups over the next decade, we wouldn't have to literally DRAW LEVEL by any means for it to happen.

This extract is from Wiki.. which means little I know.

Derby della Mole

Derby della Mole
Turin Derby

Derby della Mole, known in English as the Turin Derby is the local derby, played out between the city's two most successful teams, Juventus F.C. and Torino F.C.. The first being in 1906, there have been many since, mostly through Serie A fixtures but also the Coppa Italia and friendly matches.
In the stadium, Juventus fans usually shout out "Inferior!" and "Minors!" however Torino fans have been known to shout "Cheats!" and "Scum!" due to Juventus' match fixing allegations. Violence often breaks out on and off the pitch. In 1967 after a match that Torino won 4-0, incensed Juventus fans vandalized the grave of Gigi Meroni. This act only served to fuel the rivalry and hatred. In 2007/2008 there were riots before the match between hooligans and police with 40 arrests and 2 injured policemen. Rubbish bins were set on fire and many cars and shops vandalized as a result.
The Turin Derby has been compared to the Manchester derby in England. While Manchester United have large support from all over the world including England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales, Manchester City's support is almost entirely restricted to the city of Manchester and its surrounding area. In Turin, Torino has the biggest local following but Juventus draw support from all over Italy and all over Southern and Eastern Europe.

I wonder if Torino fans will be in attendance in December?
29e4uh0.jpg

Well, that trip to Turin would be a good chance to rebuild/refresh the link I suppose.

Be interesting to see if our new found status as serious challengers on the fringe of the elite has affected their view of City as a club they can empathise/identify with - or maybe it just reduced with the ageing of fans to a new generation and doesn't have to do with anything else.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.