The TV Quiz Show Thread

Lots of the humour in Frasier was very English in my eyes. Classic farce episodes like the ski lodge, Frasier being courted by the gay man. Also lots innuendo regarding Niles and Daphne. To write a whole country off comedy wise is bizarre. Probably never watch most of their shows, and probably like Miranda and Two pints of lager
Interesting.

I really did like Frasier (haha, I'm an American!).
Cheers was great too - and full of iconic actors!

UK humor and US humor are different - but I'm pretty sure there are numerous US comedy shows which you'd enjoy.

Curb your enthusiasm?
Seinfeld?
News Radio?
Everybody Loves Raymond?

News Radio is a special gem - probably my favorite comedy. It didn't last long though (2 years?) due to, I think, poor ratings for whatever reason.

And the Saturday Night Live (SNL) sketch that you didn't enjoy - I guess requires inside knowledge about Jeopardy and maybe Norm MacDonald. SNL is very hit-and-miss though - sometimes it's great, but mostly it's just not funny.

As an American, I'm a fan of some - but not all - popular UK comedy, e .g., Fawlty Towers. Some of Monty Python is very funny to me. Cunk on Britain and the other Cunk stuff is great. But many popular UK comedy shows I just don't get, e.g., Blackadder.

We're two nations divided by a common language.
Most American sit-coms seem to need some sort of anarchic behaviour in them. I struggled with Curb for a while as it just seemed to be too shouty and aggressive but I did like it from when it came back in 2017, I'm not sure if the show had changed or me, though. Frasier and Everybody Loves Raymond (which is one I picked up on after it had finished) were brilliant. I used to watch quite a few US/Canadian comedies/comedy shows back in the day, Soap, Bizarre (I only realised Funkhouser from Curb was Super Dave until a few days ago), Taxi - all great shows.

I'd love to know what US viewers think of our gentle comedies like Detectorists, Dinnerladies, One Foot In The Grave etc. Have you tried any of those? Dinnerladies is a very NW England type of comedy, so if you really want to feel like a Mancunian/Lancastrian, it's well worth a go.

Most American sit-coms seem to need some sort of anarchic behaviour in them. I struggled with Curb for a while as it just seemed to be too shouty and aggressive but I did like it from when it came back in 2017, I'm not sure if the show had changed or me, though. Frasier and Everybody Loves Raymond (which is one I picked up on after it had finished) were brilliant.

I'd love to know what US viewers think of our gentle comedies like Detectorists, Dinnerladies, One Foot In The Grave etc. Have you tried any of those? Dinnerladies is a very NW England type of comedy, so if you really want to feel like a Mancunian/Lancastrian, it's well worth a go.
Haven't watched any of those.
===
Curb is sort of like Fawlty Towers IMO. Unbelievable situations that are hilarious because the lead actor just goes way-over-the-top, out-of-control emotional. Shouty and aggressive is quintessential Fawlty Towers - and Curb Your Enthusiasm.
===
One of the funniest comedy scenes - to me - is when Fawlty gives his unreliable car, a "Damn Good Thrashing!" - LOL. Shouty, aggressive - and hilarious!

UK humor and US humor are different - but I'm pretty sure there are numerous US comedy shows which you'd enjoy.

Curb your enthusiasm?
Seinfeld?
News Radio?
Everybody Loves Raymond?

News Radio is a special gem - probably my favorite comedy. It didn't last long though (2 years?) due to, I think, poor ratings for whatever reason.

And the Saturday Night Live (SNL) sketch that you didn't enjoy - I guess requires inside knowledge about Jeopardy and maybe Norm MacDonald. SNL is very hit-and-miss though - sometimes it's great, but mostly it's just not funny.

As an American, I'm a fan of some - but not all - popular UK comedy, e .g., Fawlty Towers. Some of Monty Python is very funny to me. Cunk on Britain and the other Cunk stuff is great. But many popular UK comedy shows I just don't get, e.g., Blackadder.

We're two nations divided by a common language.
Blackadder is the British making fun of themselves. Self deprecation is a national pastime.

Haven't watched any of those.
===
Curb is sort of like Fawlty Towers IMO. Unbelievable situations that are hilarious because the lead actor just goes way-over-the-top, out-of-control emotional. Shouty and aggressive is quintessential Fawlty Towers - and Curb Your Enthusiasm.
===
One of the funniest comedy scenes - to me - is when Fawlty gives his unreliable car, a "Damn Good Thrashing!" - LOL. Shouty, aggressive - and hilarious!
A bit of proof for my point I think. You go for the physical comedy whereas I would pick the Waldorf Salad scene.

Shameless plug for the criminally under-rated, "News Radio." Amazing script and amazing actors before they became ultra famous. Watch the first 5 minutes (starts a bit slow, and picks up after minute 2 or so) - you'll be hooked, I promise.

Last edited:
Of recent US comedies The Big Bang is my favourite. The character of Sheldon is the creation of a genius
Brilliant at the start but the introduction in later series of the love interests centring on their relationships took away from the geekiness of the early couple of seasons. I know it had to grow and develop and I did like all 12 seasons but the first few seasons were the best.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.