The Waldorf (and other pubs) may close

A few of us used The Waldorf before West Ham Home and it was fine. Not quite the place it was but still served its purpose.

Doesn’t look anything like a rat or pigeon that I’ve ever seen in Manchester.

I’ve often mused about how important a name is to a pub’s success. I would say ‘quite’ is the best answer I can conjure up. Certainly a terrible name can be a hinderance, although I don’t think this name is terrible. Just not very original or inspiring.
Very 1990s name in my opinion when theme pubs and tackiness was abound.
the name seems to sneer at back piccadilly for my taste.

They have renovated the upstairs and have labeled it a moder take on a working mans club, well then it better have chesters mild and john smiths on at £1.80 a pint ;-)

Last edited:
Can’t really say I like the branding but I’m glad the old Mother Mac’s went out of business. Run by cunts, got what they deserved.

The Crown and Kettle is a lovely pub with friendly staff, so if this is anything like that I wish them the very best with it.

You talking about Les, who ran it for years?

Was a nice bloke. And a blue.

You talking about Les, who ran it for years?

Was a nice bloke. And a blue.
Whoever the mad old twat is who slammed the door in my face and locked the door and told me to fuck off when I was popping in there for a pint a couple of years ago (while stone cold sober at about 6pm after a match). He either worked there or was an escaped mental patient.

First and only time I've (almost) been in. Never went back. Glad they went bust.

A few of us used The Waldorf before West Ham Home and it was fine. Not quite the place it was but still served its purpose.
I think they've done a good job with the Waldorf refurb. Strikes a good balance between a traditional pub you can watch the footy in, and somewhere you could have lunch in too without worrying about being knifed.

Whoever the mad old twat is who slammed the door in my face and locked the door and told me to fuck off when I was popping in there for a pint a couple of years ago (while stone cold sober at about 6pm after a match). He either worked there or was an escaped mental patient.

First and only time I've (almost) been in. Never went back. Glad they went bust.

Well I’ve obviously no idea who that was.

But Les and his wife, whose name I’m struggling to remember, were a very nice couple.

Was he sat on the stairs?

Very 1990s name in my opinion when theme pubs and tackiness was abound.
the name seems to sneer at back piccadilly for my taste.

They have renovated the upstairs and have labeled it a moder take on a working mans club, well then it better have chesters mild and john smiths on at £1.80 a pint ;-)
Sorry to be the pedant, but for historical and geographic reasons, Chester’s Mild and John Smith’s Bitter would hardly ever have been seen on a WMC bar together :-) Both brewed in Yorkshire (Sheffield and Tadcaster) when the Chester’s Brewery on Cook Street in Salford closed in 1991.

Agree about strange names for pubs being de rigueur in the ‘90s. Think the expansion of the Firkin chain around that time possibly fuelled it.

Sorry to be the pedant, but for historical and geographic reasons, Chester’s Mild and John Smith’s Bitter would hardly ever have been seen on a WMC bar together :-) Both brewed in Yorkshire (Sheffield and Tadcaster) when the Chester’s Brewery on Cook Street in Salford closed in 1991.

Agree about strange names for pubs being de rigueur in the ‘90s. Think the expansion of the Firkin chain around that time possibly fuelled it.
I know that, I was intentionally drifting across the ages, 30 years ago chesters and now you find Smurfs smooth or worthingtons.

you picky fucker ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.