The Waldorf (and other pubs) may close

Sorry to be the pedant, but for historical and geographic reasons, Chester’s Mild and John Smith’s Bitter would hardly ever have been seen on a WMC bar together :-) Both brewed in Yorkshire (Sheffield and Tadcaster) when the Chester’s Brewery on Cook Street in Salford closed in 1991.

Agree about strange names for pubs being de rigueur in the ‘90s. Think the expansion of the Firkin chain around that time possibly fuelled it.

The worst phase of pub naming for me was when Wilson’s was it, suddenly re-named a whole bunch of their pubs “Sports”? Often multiple pubs in the same small area. Very confusing.

Although the singular pub that caused the most confusion was “The Pub” on Grosvenor Street, opposite The Deaf Institute.

Try ordering a taxi to pick you up from that fucker.

The worst phase of pub naming for me was when Wilson’s was it, suddenly re-named a whole bunch of their pubs “Sports”? Often multiple pubs in the same small area. Very confusing.
It wasn’t Wilson’s per se, but rather Grand Metropolitan (which Wilson’s/Webster’s were part of) that converted (and destroyed in turn) a number of grand old pubs in the mid to late ‘80s into that chain.

Heard the designer who oversaw the process ended up killing herself as a consequence of the backlash, although never had any verifiable evidence to support that.

Just looking at previous posts on here and the criticism of San Miguel, this was a drink I'd never had before but a very decent lager. More of a stout drinker myself but this was good.

Attachments

• IMG_6635.jpeg
    IMG_6635.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 25

Although the singular pub that caused the most confusion was “The Pub” on Grosvenor Street, opposite The Deaf Institute.

Try ordering a taxi to pick you up from that fucker.
I understand the reasoning behind the name, they are atempting to be ironic about the state of back Piccadilly, hower that isn't irony, @gordondaviesmoustache can confirm I am sure but I think they have misunderstood that the name isn't ironic.

Would have been nice if it recognised the area instead.
If not still named Macs why not pay homage to Naturalist Ashton Lever of Arkington Hall which both Piccadilly, back picadilly, Lever and Little Level street it sits on were once owned by and which he had Lady Lever Hall and residential properties built on it by him

I understand the reasoning behind the name, they are atempting to be ironic about the state of back Piccadilly, hower that isn't irony, @gordondaviesmoustache can confirm I am sure but I think they have misunderstood that the name isn't ironic.

If not still named Macs why not pay homage to Naturalist Ashton Lever of Arkington Hall which both Piccadilly, back picadilly, Lever and Little Level street it sits on were once owned by and which he had Lady Lever Hall and residential properties built on it by him
I think sometimes a name change is desirable when there’s a change in management, occasionally it is essential if (for example) there’s been a fatality previously, but I don’t think that it was warranted on this occasion and smacks a little of insecurity. It’s a good brand that has heritage locally and (fwiw) I would have left the name as it was.

Should drum up a bit of extra business for the knocking shop next door if nothing else. Assuming it’s still there. Not been past for a while.

The City on oldham St being refurbished and re-opened, heard it's Eddie Beefs lad and gonna be a rag pub.

with the NQ now being a blue area especially more so on match days should be fun come derby day

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.