The Witchwood Ashton U Lyne

johnny on the spot said:
waterloo blue said:
blue underpants said:
And served a cracking pint of O.B. bitter, aahh the memories
My godfather Bob,was always in the Globe.
He and my dad did waiting on in there in the '60's,they used to have bands in the back room even then.
The curryhouse over the road was the Ajanta,the owner was a mates dad.
I was thinking about the model shop the other day,great place to window shop.

Used to buy my Airfix and Space Marines in there as a nipper. Quality model shop.

Run by Charlie Jackson....

btw, Anyone remember The Moon Club in Dukinfield around 1969, and The Birdcage in Ashton with Ray Teret as DJ?

pete1970 said:
Cheers Mate-The Spread Eagle? wow thats going back a bit!
The Spread. Match on Saturday. 35p in The Kippax. 6p on the bus each way - used to be 2p for each trip. Home for quick tea. Out for 7 down to The Spread. About 20p for a pint IIRC. Chippy on the way home. City beer music chips. 15-16 years old. £2 great day

Havent been to ashton since i was about 16! Remember a few interesting moments... Now the metrolink is open im definitely going to give it a go.
Where are the best pubs to go in? I dont really know the names of any, and the only ones that ring a bell are the wetherspoons near the old fire station and the witchwood

waterloo blue said:
crazyg said:
There was one in the window for years called the "Atomic Cannon", but The nearest I got to buying it was the "Nike" rocket.

Up to 1962 I lived on Mill Lane in a house that is now the annex to the HSBC Bank. There was also the Grapes on Church Street, that my dad used to go in, which is now part of the Asda car park. Not forgetting the Brougham on Cavendish Street, where I had one or two under-age sessions.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
I always wanted one of those remote controlled planes they had in the window,then I could of gone down to Richmond St. playing fields buzzing George Hough's cows.
I thought Adsa was built on the old Broadbent's foundary site,but it's been a few years since I was down that way.

No, Broadbent's was on the other side of Cavendish Street from where Asda is. My dad was a lorry driver there when we lived on Mill Lane, and I vaguely remember going out with him to the sand pits out Chelford way as a "treat". Co-incidentally, my eldest daughter now lives about half a mile away from there, and goes for runs round the quarries.

Moved from there to Knowle Avenue, and got pissed off with those model aircraft "enthusiasts" buzzing around when we were playing football.

Still go in for a couple on a Friday after work.

Planning a Friday stay out for in a few weeks. Takeover the pool table and jukebox then pile in the back later on.

Going to the metallica tribute next week. Its not until 8.30 but going to be in ashton from about 5, what pubs do you recommend before it?

CTID1988 said:
Going to the metallica tribute next week. Its not until 8.30 but going to be in ashton from about 5, what pubs do you recommend before it?
Your options are not great to be honest.

Not been in the Wetherspoons or Fire Station for a while so dunno what they are like.

There are a couple near the Witchwood (Forresters & Travellers Call), both look like shit holes.

CTID1988 said:
Quietish drink great pint of Robinsons bitter....best pint in Ashton....The Caledonia Warrington St, near the main Nat West bank

A loony 2 hour mad drink with 6 fingered no teeth brainless chavs....and thats just the women...The Bowling Green Penny Meadow back of the market, John Smiths about 1.50 a pint, lager about 2 quid a pint, but watch your pockets!!!!<br /><br />-- Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:36 pm --<br /><br />
blue underpants said:
CTID1988 said:
Quietish drink great pint of Robinsons bitter....best pint in Ashton....The Caledonia Warrington St, near the main Nat West bank

A loony 2 hour mad drink with 6 fingered no teeth brainless chavs....and thats just the women...The Bowling Green Penny Meadow back of the market, John Smiths about 1.50 a pint, lager about 2 quid a pint, but watch your pockets!!!!
I forgot, THEN THERE IS TIME ZONE......SHIVERS

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.