The word Rag...

Red arrogant gobshites
Even my mates who support other teams refer to them as the rags.

Corky said:
The Blackley/Harpurhey posh lot.

Right snobby bastards... remember them well, with their quiffs and cravats, driving around in Rovers, taking over Rochdale Road on a Tuesday evening after Backgammon class.

And the smell of Werther's Originals in the air...

Soulboy said:
milnrowmeatandpotato said:
Would you say it is 'popular'? Apart from the internet and fanzines i can't say i hear the word much

You're obviously not from Manchester mate.

I grew up on it going back to the 70's and the term was originated, I believe, in the 30's.

Maybe up your way the real hatred is between the Oldham Yonners and the Rochdale Sheepshaggers. Is that what they're called, by the way? I don't really know.

Grew up in Milnrow, LANCASHIRE (YEAH!) you are right, but have been going to games since the late 70s and NEVER heard the term until the fanzines came around (and i still read it a lot more than hear people say it).
We were a lot simpler. Just called them United. Still do.

A local newspaper in the twenties or earlier refered to the new united kit that appeared that day, because it was raining and the colours ran as looking like united were playing in rags. I've been following City for over half a century and always refered to united as the rags.

colinbellsballboy said:
Anyone on here know what a jam-rag is? It`s just short for that.(IMHO)

Yes I do - and a prize to you as I was around when the term came into use - about 35 - 40 years ago I think - crude as it was (and childish as it now seems) - it was an articulation of the feeling of CITY fans towards the scum fans at that time - we used the term jam-rags - and it just got shortened

Lmarkham-blueblood said:
tbh in a way i dont see why we stopped calling them m***chs, because it obviously diddnt bother them until 20 years after it happened ;)

Has this stopped? Can't say i've noticed

online yes. but occasionally it breaks out (like in the crap new tevez song)

A Blue said:
A local newspaper in the twenties or earlier refered to the new united kit that appeared that day, because it was raining and the colours ran as looking like united were playing in rags. I've been following City for over half a century and always refered to united as the rags.

All this stuff is so far from the truth - makes a good story though

Soulboy said:
Corky said:
The Blackley/Harpurhey posh lot.

Right snobby bastards... remember them well, with their quiffs and cravats, driving around in Rovers, taking over Rochdale Road on a Tuesday evening after Backgammon class.

And the smell of Werther's Originals in the air...

Rancid Arse-unit Goblins

Soulboy said:
You're obviously not from Manchester mate.

I grew up on it going back to the 70's and the term was originated, I believe, in the 30's.

Maybe up your way the real hatred is between the Oldham Yonners and the Rochdale Sheepshaggers. Is that what they're called, by the way? I don't really know.

Grew up in Milnrow, LANCASHIRE (YEAH!) you are right, but have been going to games since the late 70s and NEVER heard the term until the fanzines came around (and i still read it a lot more than hear people say it).
We were a lot simpler. Just called them United. Still do.

As an aside... Milnrow is NOT in Lancashire. I think it's in Rochdale... which is part of Greater Manchester... NOT Lancashire.

I'm surprised that someone who lives there wouldn't know that... strange, eh?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.