The youth players that played today

Doubt we will see any of them in this season anymore apart from Kelechi. Maybe in games as sub when we are 0-3 down or 4-0 up, that can happen in the league in a few games.

They had the big chance today to shine, they did well apart from losing 5-1 no matter how big joke that sounds. Its absolutely not the way to promote youngsters in a good way. Step by step get them used to the first team 20 minutes here and there, full 90 minutes maybe when we are up against shit teams early in League cups etc, then vs easier PL teams...
Throw in many of them vs Chelsea away with the dross we have from first team like Demi and Kolarov, it was asking for a big beating and we delivered that.

Says a great deal we got fucked today because of our senior players rather than throwing the kids on, problem is Willy will be in the league final and Demi/Kola (though I thought Kola wasn't so bad personally) will be in the league for the rest of this season, unlike those who actually showed something today.

I'm certainly confused at people saying Barker looked bad; he was extremely positive and done more than Celina.

I thought Manu Garcia was the pick out of the bunch, his touch and class was brilliant. Saying that, I do think he's a year or two off from being a first-team contender. Same with Aleix. I thought Tosin had a fantastic defensive match but his lack of ball-playing is something he needs to work on. I also thought Faupala was a willing runner and deserved his goal but I certainly don't see him being on the same technical level of the Garcia's.

I think that's a pretty fair summation. Celina was the big disappointment and Tosin's distribution was wretched, but Manu Garcia showed some lovely touches and Alex Garcia was solid enough. Faupala impressed to the point I thought he looked more threatening than Kelechi for much of the game. Barker was hit and miss for me, and I've never been particularly persuaded that he'll make the grade, but like you say, he was definitely positive and there was one lovely 'chest and go' that left the full back completely on his arse.

As to who'll make the grade, I think Manu is the obvious choice, maybe once he's beefed up a bit a couple of years down the line. I'd been a big fan of Tosin's at EDS level, but there were a few technical concerns manifest themselves today, particularly the number of snatched, inaccurate passes. For a first appearance though he was still pretty good.

All in all then I thought the young lads gave a decent account of themselves, and they certainly didn't deserve to be on the wrong end of a 5 goal hiding. That they were owed much to the failings of our defensive set up again. The 18 yard offside trap was a disaster, we were undone countless times by the simplest of 'dink round the corner' 1-2's, and the inability of anyone in midfield to either tackle or resist a physical challenge was no different to when we have Ya Ya, Silva and KDB in there. When teams sit back against us they drop off to the penalty spot and beyond when we have the ball on the edge of their box, but when we're defending we insanely push up in a line, try and fail to pressure the man in possession, and then find ourselves stranded when it gets played in behind us with no-one ever going with the runner. The 1st, 3rd and 5th were absolute gifts, and the young lads weren't helped by having Caballero behind them. I went to Spurs earlier this season and watched him flap cluelessly that day as well. He's a bottle merchant as the 5th goal amply showed, when he allowed himself to be distracted by both an incoming forward and the post, and his efforts at keeping out the 3rd and 4th were equally pathetic. Given that he's taking up a valuable overseas place, come the summer he's got to go. Bottom line on the whole day? In footballing and organisational terms, I can't wait til Pellegrini goes and Pep arrives

Last edited:
Quite honestly I think all of them did themselves proud today.

I mean most of the games they play at youth level is probably 4-3-3 so it makes perfect sense so put them in a team away to Chelsea and ask them to play 4-4-2. I'll reserve judgement on the lads next season.

Faupala is well build for English football .He just needs more experience at top level. I like both Garcias .

Last edited:
Celina didnt show, and Barker showed a lot more lack of composure than the other young lads. Apart from those two, I would keep all the others for sure, even just based on that one game. They looked really promising.

As for Celina and Barker, I'd honestly not be bothered either way - if others have seen them more and think they can do it, then fair enough, but today was the kind of test they'll need to pass to have a future at our club, and they failed it today

The youngsters did ok today and never let the club down unlike the management who decided to play so many

Manu is definitely ready for first team action, wasn't shy of putting his shoulder into players and worked very hard, alongside the first team he would come on leaps and bounds.
The rest still have work to do more than likely on loan.

If Pelligrini is true to form, we won't see any of them again this season.....

My opinion is that everyone of them could/should have a role(however small) in the first team - they clearly have ability and once coached and intergrated properly will probably do well.

They should never have been dumped in to today's game but intergrated earlier in the season.
They played well and all have a future in the game at a decent level

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.