Then and now..... Joe Hart!

Once our reliable Shot Stopper.... Golden Glove winner.... helped us win the 2012 Premier League! I never thought we will ever need another keeper until Pep joined us and benched him. Then Ederson joined and Joe Hart moved. Once England's number one and now no where near the English Team! Recently left Spurs for Celtic and yesterday made a huge error that lead to a goal. Seems he has been unable to remove the errors from his game.

I am a goalkeeper myself and I watch lots of videos of goalkeepers. I feel bad for Joe cause he was my favorite keeper at one time. I remember him against Dortmund and then the infamous game against Barcelona! What happened to him? Did the game evolve faster than he did?
While some players can maintain a top level for the entirety of a 15 year career at the top, some players only show that top level for parts of their career.

Some start of as sensations and go nowhere
Others develop from a low starting point and flourish as they get older
Other have a great half of a career (first half for some, second half for others, and some have a great middle)
Some just have chunks of their career, brief spells here and there, where they reach a top level.

I think there’s an incorrect expectation that if footballers [sportsmen in general] reach a high point at some point in their careers they should remain there.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's sad to see him fall so low. Still to this day the best goalkeeper performances I've ever seen were the Barcelona game and the game against Dortmund. When he was in his prime he would stop anything.
Spurs away must be up with them n’all?

He was asked to play sweeper keeper the other night with defenders who didn’t look comfortable accepting the ball and who continually adopted poor shape to receive the ball or made no angle whatsoever. He’s playing for a team that is playing with Pellegrini’s attacking swagger but Guardiola’s defence from his first season here. That will get cricket scores in Scotland but be found out in Europe. Feel for Joe.

I don't understand why managers insist on doing this with the wrong type of player. I remember Tim Sherwood tried to get his defenders doing this at Villa and it ended in tears very quickly.

Keep it simple and play it long or buy the personnel to do it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.