These LGBT school protests

I am just saying the ages they were suggesting teaching too were a little young.
But this is exactly the problem I've just addressed in my previous posts to you. How young is too young for children to start learning this sort of stuff? It's not like we're selling them fictional stories - if you let them know as early as possible that some families are made up of two men raising an adopted child, or two women as well, then the better chance they have of understanding something that's entirely normal. You have to learn to disassociate same-sex couples from the act of sex itself.

As soon as we leave the womb we're assigned into gender roles by the colours of clothes bought for us (blue for a boy, pink for a girl), the types of toys we're told to play with (monster trucks for boys, dolls for girls), and the images we're exposed to (images of happy nuclear families, the idea of "mummy and daddy"). If children are too young to be told that some families are made up of same-sex couples then they're also too young to be told that families are made up of opposite-sex couples too.

There are effective ways of avoiding "the talk" with children when they ask where babies come from, at least until they're old enough to be told about sex, so why can't those methods be applied to children raised by same-sex parents? If a child believes storks are responsible for bringing them to their families then they're not going to investigate any further and it becomes a non-issue regardless of the parents they're raised by.

When I was growing up I watched TV shows with images like this, and families like this, one-time characters like this guy, and none of them had any effect on me. I'm not LGBT and never will be, so when I was watching those shows as a kid those images were just funny moments or things that passed me by, but they will strike a chord with kids who are LGBT and potentially save them years of psychological strife.

I was good friends with four boys at school who are all now publicly out as gay. One of them (let's call him John) was very confident in himself, realised very early on, and came out in third year, which was back in 2008. John has only just worked up the courage to tell his dad, at the age of 24. Another, let's call him Jeff, came out in fifth year (in 2010) but was immediately the centre of attention when he did. The other two, though (who we'll call Adam and Lee) were well past college before they realised. Adam came out when he was 18, and Lee only came out to a small group of us when he was 19 - his dad's side still don't know and he's spent the last three years in therapy after a long battle with depression and PTSD that resulted in a thankfully failed suicide attempt in 2015. I wish he was the only story like this, but he's not.

John initially came out as bisexual in second year and it was a big deal for both the kids and the teachers at my school, to the point where he was even treated differently by some homophobic staff members. The news was apparently so fascinating that it travelled like wildfire, even to the ears of kids we'd never seen in the school before. They'd come up to our group at break times asking "What's it like kissing a boy?" "You do know being gay is fucking weird, don't you?" "Are you gay with him [pointing towards me]?" I don't blame the kids asking those questions because they grew up never knowing that gay people even existed, never mind that they shared a school with them.

Returning to Lee's situation - when we were in fourth and fifth year (and finally old enough to understand what sex and relationships were) the lads in our group used to trade questions and stories all the time, like lads do. "Do you fancy her?", "Have you had sex yet?", "I've been chatting with this girl online actually...", and we always had something to offer up. Except Lee. We never knew why but he always stayed very quiet during these conversations, and whenever we forced him to join in he'd come up with some (as we later found out) phoney story about a girl he'd met privately, away from all of us. And when he wasn't inventing stories to deflect attention he kept finding ways to shrug it off.

I've apologised to him since about the way we behaved, even if we were kids.

When you're LGBT at school and you're surrounded by non-LGBT people talking about sex, I can't even begin to imagine how isolating that must feel - to hear the majority of boys laugh and joke about sex with girls, to watch everyone take part in the dating games boys and girls play in the corridors. Lee was told from the day he stepped into the schoolyard that boys kissing girls is normal, and from the day he was born that every family has a mum and dad, but here Lee is, finding himself gazing at boys across the classroom and seeing no "mum" to his own children in his future. If he's never been told that those feelings are completely normal and completely natural, the constant doubting and questioning and anxiety begins, and he eventually winds up standing in Stockport train station waiting for a freight to come through.

Thankfully he stepped away from the edge when the train came through and I still have one of my best friends.

So yeah, start teaching kids at primary school level that same-sex couples exist and that they're completely normal, and that some people don't grow up to be the gender or sex they were born as. Hell, get them watching TV shows like Adventure Time and Steven Universe as well. In this hypothetical world, John and Jeff might have been able to come out in high school without having to battle homophobia. Adam might have realised earlier in life and he might never have received those drunken homophobic voicemails from his ex-girlfriend of two years that he had to split up with once he realised. And Lee might never have been stood on that platform, waiting for a train to end his suffering.

But this is exactly the problem I've just addressed in my previous posts to you. How young is too young for children to start learning this sort of stuff? It's not like we're selling them fictional stories - if you let them know as early as possible that some families are made up of two men raising an adopted child, or two women as well, then the better chance they have of understanding something that's entirely normal. You have to learn to disassociate same-sex couples from the act of sex itself.

As soon as we leave the womb we're assigned into gender roles by the colours of clothes bought for us (blue for a boy, pink for a girl), the types of toys we're told to play with (monster trucks for boys, dolls for girls), and the images we're exposed to (images of happy nuclear families, the idea of "mummy and daddy"). If children are too young to be told that some families are made up of same-sex couples then they're also too young to be told that families are made up of opposite-sex couples too.

There are effective ways of avoiding "the talk" with children when they ask where babies come from, at least until they're old enough to be told about sex, so why can't those methods be applied to children raised by same-sex parents? If a child believes storks are responsible for bringing them to their families then they're not going to investigate any further and it becomes a non-issue regardless of the parents they're raised by.

When I was growing up I watched TV shows with images like this, and families like this, one-time characters like this guy, and none of them had any effect on me. I'm not LGBT and never will be, so when I was watching those shows as a kid those images were just funny moments or things that passed me by, but they will strike a chord with kids who are LGBT and potentially save them years of psychological strife.

I was good friends with four boys at school who are all now publicly out as gay. One of them (let's call him John) was very confident in himself, realised very early on, and came out in third year, which was back in 2008. John has only just worked up the courage to tell his dad, at the age of 24. Another, let's call him Jeff, came out in fifth year (in 2010) but was immediately the centre of attention when he did. The other two, though (who we'll call Adam and Lee) were well past college before they realised. Adam came out when he was 18, and Lee only came out to a small group of us when he was 19 - his dad's side still don't know and he's spent the last three years in therapy after a long battle with depression and PTSD that resulted in a thankfully failed suicide attempt in 2015. I wish he was the only story like this, but he's not.

John initially came out as bisexual in second year and it was a big deal for both the kids and the teachers at my school, to the point where he was even treated differently by some homophobic staff members. The news was apparently so fascinating that it travelled like wildfire, even to the ears of kids we'd never seen in the school before. They'd come up to our group at break times asking "What's it like kissing a boy?" "You do know being gay is fucking weird, don't you?" "Are you gay with him [pointing towards me]?" I don't blame the kids asking those questions because they grew up never knowing that gay people even existed, never mind that they shared a school with them.

Returning to Lee's situation - when we were in fourth and fifth year (and finally old enough to understand what sex and relationships were) the lads in our group used to trade questions and stories all the time, like lads do. "Do you fancy her?", "Have you had sex yet?", "I've been chatting with this girl online actually...", and we always had something to offer up. Except Lee. We never knew why but he always stayed very quiet during these conversations, and whenever we forced him to join in he'd come up with some (as we later found out) phoney story about a girl he'd met privately, away from all of us. And when he wasn't inventing stories to deflect attention he kept finding ways to shrug it off.

I've apologised to him since about the way we behaved, even if we were kids.

When you're LGBT at school and you're surrounded by non-LGBT people talking about sex, I can't even begin to imagine how isolating that must feel - to hear the majority of boys laugh and joke about sex with girls, to watch everyone take part in the dating games boys and girls play in the corridors. Lee was told from the day he stepped into the schoolyard that boys kissing girls is normal, and from the day he was born that every family has a mum and dad, but here Lee is, finding himself gazing at boys across the classroom and seeing no "mum" to his own children in his future. If he's never been told that those feelings are completely normal and completely natural, the constant doubting and questioning and anxiety begins, and he eventually winds up standing in Stockport train station waiting for a freight to come through.

Thankfully he stepped away from the edge when the train came through and I still have one of my best friends.

So yeah, start teaching kids at primary school level that same-sex couples exist and that they're completely normal, and that some people don't grow up to be the gender or sex they were born as. Hell, get them watching TV shows like Adventure Time and Steven Universe as well. In this hypothetical world, John and Jeff might have been able to come out in high school without having to battle homophobia. Adam might have realised earlier in life and he might never have received those drunken homophobic voicemails from his ex-girlfriend of two years that he had to split up with once he realised. And Lee might never have been stood on that platform, waiting for a train to end his suffering.

Sorry that someone you knew felt the need to go to those extreme circumstances.

But again I have said again and again. Rather than talk about all the differences that are between same sex/straight parents/single parents etc etc.

Just let the kids just be kids, show that there are no differences.

But again I have said again and again. Rather than talk about all the differences that are between same sex/straight parents/single parents etc etc.

"The problems are very bad, but their causes are just fine."

Kids absorb stuff that is all around them, be it the internet, parents, TV etc etc and if intolerance is present then the kids pick up on it and it becomes the norm. Catch it before this happens. Make the world a better place.

I honestly think that's the whole point of these classes though. I mean the initiative in Birmingham that people were objecting to was even called "no outsiders".

Read the posts

Like i said and I wont be repeating it again, its a good idea to be discussed, but for the ages they are suggesting telling them. Just let the kids grow up a little.

But if you don't teach kids young that homosexuality is acceptable, they have time to learn otherwise from other sources.

Much easier to teach a blank canvas than to change beliefs that already exist.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.