"They are all as bad as each other"

I think mate you are looking at it from a party political perspective where as my intention was to look at it from an individual MPs perspective. By that I mean say are Lisa Nandy and Rees-Mogg both in Parliament with the best of intentions. I do honestly believe that they both believe they are there to do good. Now whilst I may fundamentally disagree with both of them on issues and they may be following party guidance as part of collective responsibility that does not change their intentions on entering Parliament. They may have to support what I would consider awful and odious legislation, yet still retain their good intentions. Obviously though the question becomes what are good intentions and the only answer I have to that is the ballot box.

Which takes me back to one of my original concerns, thinking that MPs are all the same is a threat to Democracy and the best way to measure any MPs intentions is through an election and if we begin to consider MPs as being all the same I worry that affects voter turnout, it de-legitimises mandates and support for Parliament falls further. That could create a vacuum and authoritarians exploit vacuums.
I disagree with you there Rascal. I very much doubt that ex/current hedge fund millionaires are there to do any good for anyone other than themselves and their ilk. Now, it might be that Lisa Nandy is also there to represent herself and her ilk however, there are a lot more people in this country like Lisa Nandy than there are like JRM.

As for your last point, I sincerely hope there is a huge amount of tactical voting at the next election and a progressive alliance just brings in PR, no referendum needed, which should keep the Tories out of government in perpetuity.

I disagree with you there Rascal. I very much doubt that ex/current hedge fund millionaires are there to do any good for anyone other than themselves and their ilk. Now, it might be that Lisa Nandy is also there to represent herself and her ilk however, there are a lot more people in this country like Lisa Nandy than there are like JRM.

As for your last point, I sincerely hope there is a huge amount of tactical voting at the next election and a progressive alliance just brings in PR, no referendum needed, which should keep the Tories out of government in perpetuity.

I’ve been a long term advocate of PR and always will be. I do worry about the amount we’ve regressed over the past decade or so making it less of a success if it were to be implemented though. It relies on greater collaboration and yet we’ve gone backwards in terms of empathy or consideration of other peoples views.

I live the UAE now and really don't miss the excuse for politics we have in our country. Most of the politicians come from the same background and you could put a cigarette paper between them.

This may upset a few people on here but I couldn't care less whether Boris was having a drink when he shouldn't have been. I just want them to get on with doing a good job with a bit of personality. All I see at the moment is negativity, negativity and more negativity which is made even worse in a country dominated by left wing ideas. Watching them in the commons is embarrassing.

I live the UAE now and really don't miss the excuse for politics we have in our country. Most of the politicians come from the same background and you could put a cigarette paper between them.

This may upset a few people on here but I couldn't care less whether Boris was having a drink when he shouldn't have been. I just want them to get on with doing a good job with a bit of personality. All I see at the moment is negativity, negativity and more negativity which is made even worse in a country dominated by left wing ideas. Watching them in the commons is embarrassing.
It wasn’t having a drink that was the problem, it was that they partied on whilst making the rules stopping all other parties and going to family funerals.

Personality is almost irrelevant.

Competence, morality, duty, leadership and foresight are far more important.

It wasn’t having a drink that was the problem, it was that they partied on whilst making the rules stopping all other parties and going to family funerals.

I think loads of people broke the rules and no one is whiter than white. It would be naive to assume so, even with the PM. Personality in being able to connect with the people and not someone out of touch

Dominated by left wing ideas? Are you thick?

I think loads of people broke the rules and no one is whiter than white. It would be naive to assume so, even with the PM. Personality in being able to connect with the people and not someone out of touch
Loads of people didn’t make the rules though and undermine their own authority.

That picture of the Queen at her husband’s funeral the day after a massive Downing Street party should have killed his political career dead.

Johnson had the amazing ability to relate to absolute arseholes alongside being a banter Prime Minister. Hopefully people will see that this isn’t the answer ever again.

It wasn’t even that for me tbh, it’s that he lied about it in parliament. That has to always be a resigning offence.

Admittedly a sitting pm breaking the law has to be too though!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.