This is our City!

JOGAMIGMOG said:
nigel said:
Humlannitton said:
Having a small argument with a pal about which club is biggest in Manchester. Of course, I know the rags fanbase is mainly based in Asia and that Manchester is OUR CITY - and I'm pretty sure I've seen some kind of graphics or a map to prove it. Can't seem to find it, though...

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? In that case, could you please give me a link...

Canyt post a link but there was a thread on here a long while ago that went to the study done by Manchester University cofirming that "Manchester is Blue" It had stuff on about season tickets held in Manchester boroughs....anybody got the link ?

Or try googling "Manchester season ticket study" or summat like that

in Gary James' latest book about the history of Manchester Football, the results of that study are published, including the map referred to. Basically, East Manc is blue, so too South Manc, whereas West and North Manc are Rag.
Failsworth (north Manc) is overwhelmingly Blue.

nigel said:
Humlannitton said:
Having a small argument with a pal about which club is biggest in Manchester. Of course, I know the rags fanbase is mainly based in Asia and that Manchester is OUR CITY - and I'm pretty sure I've seen some kind of graphics or a map to prove it. Can't seem to find it, though...

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? In that case, could you please give me a link...

Canyt post a link but there was a thread on here a long while ago that went to the study done by Manchester University cofirming that "Manchester is Blue" It had stuff on about season tickets held in Manchester boroughs....anybody got the link ?

i remember that, it said south and east mcr was more blue and north and west was more red.... only thing is last time i looked there is no west mcr.... its called SALFORD

The stats I used in "Manchester A Football History" were the same stats that researcher Dr. Adam Brown used to ask the question: "Do You Come From Manchester". His research showed that Manchester had more Utd season ticket holders in it than City however my use of the same stats focused on each borough of Greater Manchester (excluding Wigan, Bolton and areas Adam had already discounted such as Mossley, Bramhall & Cheadle Hulme - areas I would have liked to include). I calculated how many season ticket holders each club had in each postcode borough and then painted my map based on whether it was Blue (more City s/t holders than Utd) or Red.

This proved that the region was more or less split with most of the West being Red (except M31 - blue!) and most of the East being Blue (except OL9).

Adam used the 'M' postcode as his definition of Manchester and so his conclusion that Manchester was Red was based on the fact that 6,678 City season ticket holders lived in M postcodes while 7,808 Utd s/ts lived in M postcodes. The problem with all of this is that 'M' does not mean Manchester. Denton is in Tameside not the city of Manchester; Old Trafford has a M postcode but not in the city of Manchester etc.

If only the City of Manchester postcodes are used than Manchester is Blue, but I chose to look across the Manchester region and include all the boroughs of Manchester (Salford, Trafford, Stockport, Tameside, Oldham plus Manchester) that the M60 cuts through or surrounds.

There are a few points that have to be explained with any research and my simple 'whose got most season ticket holders in a postcode borough' approach means that areas like Sale (M33) are perceived as Red because they have more Utd s/ts than City but it is also our 3rd highest concentration of S/ts in the region (it's Utd's number 1).

Statistics can be used in lots of ways, but if you want to see the breakdown of s/ts in each borough borrow "Manchester A Football History" (pages 489 to 498) from the library.

Cheers,
Gary

Gary James said:
The stats I used in "Manchester A Football History" were the same stats that researcher Dr. Adam Brown used to ask the question: "Do You Come From Manchester". His research showed that Manchester had more Utd season ticket holders in it than City however my use of the same stats focused on each borough of Greater Manchester (excluding Wigan, Bolton and areas Adam had already discounted such as Mossley, Bramhall & Cheadle Hulme - areas I would have liked to include). I calculated how many season ticket holders each club had in each postcode borough and then painted my map based on whether it was Blue (more City s/t holders than Utd) or Red.

This proved that the region was more or less split with most of the West being Red (except M31 - blue!) and most of the East being Blue (except OL9).

Adam used the 'M' postcode as his definition of Manchester and so his conclusion that Manchester was Red was based on the fact that 6,678 City season ticket holders lived in M postcodes while 7,808 Utd s/ts lived in M postcodes. The problem with all of this is that 'M' does not mean Manchester. Denton is in Tameside not the city of Manchester; Old Trafford has a M postcode but not in the city of Manchester etc.

If only the City of Manchester postcodes are used than Manchester is Blue, but I chose to look across the Manchester region and include all the boroughs of Manchester (Salford, Trafford, Stockport, Tameside, Oldham plus Manchester) that the M60 cuts through or surrounds.

There are a few points that have to be explained with any research and my simple 'whose got most season ticket holders in a postcode borough' approach means that areas like Sale (M33) are perceived as Red because they have more Utd s/ts than City but it is also our 3rd highest concentration of S/ts in the region (it's Utd's number 1).

Statistics can be used in lots of ways, but if you want to see the breakdown of s/ts in each borough borrow "Manchester A Football History" (pages 489 to 498) from the library.

Cheers,
Gary

Hi Gary

Nice to see you on here, I bought your book on Amazon for my dad this Christmas

It looked the business but I couldnt read to much as it would look like I had read it- if you know what I mean.

I read the review in KOTK and really wanted to know about the 3rd Manc team Manchester Central

I will drop the hint again and hopefully he will pass it on a generation (soon)

tommyducks said:
JOGAMIGMOG said:
nigel said:
Humlannitton said:

in Gary James' latest book about the history of Manchester Football, the results of that study are published, including the map referred to. Basically, East Manc is blue, so too South Manc, whereas West and North Manc are Rag.
Failsworth (north Manc) is overwhelmingly Blue.[/quote]

Yep :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.