This Stoke defeat?

tolmie's hairdoo

Seems to have hit blues harder than it should?

Obviously, nobody saw it coming, we are masters of the universe at home.

Can't help feeling it's the frustration of defeat which has since got plenty looking at everything in a negative light, following the sale of Negredo and United signing Falcao?

I'm still pissed about the performance and result on Saturday, especially with Chelsea winning at Everton, and games to come against direct title rivals.

The international break hasn't afforded us an instant pick-me-up.

In a wider sense, though, have we set the bar so high that anything negative is now seen as crisis or failure? Feast or famine?

If we had lost to Liverpool at home, instead of Stoke, would the perspective of some be any different?

tolmie's hairdoo said:

Can't help feeling it's the frustration of defeat which has since got plenty looking at everything in a negative light, following the sale of Negredo and United signing Falcao?

I'm still pissed about the performance and result on Saturday, especially with Chelsea winning at Everton, and games to come against direct title rivals.

In a wider sense, though, have we set the bar so high that anything negative is now seen as crisis or failure? Feast or famine?

If we had lost to Liverpool at home, instead of Stoke, would the perspective of some be any different?

Spot-on we are still the same team and Champions, that started the season and that old cliche "Its a marathon not a sprit" something we should all remember.

It's not so much the defeat that concerns me, it's that we've looked sluggish in the opening three games - even against the dippers we never really hit top gear. While it's good to get two wins while not playing especially well there are three tough games coming straight after the international break where we will need to be at our best.

tolmie's hairdoo said:

We didnt exactly give them a footballing lesson last season either.

tolmie's hairdoo said:

Well, yes - of course the perspective would be different had we lost to Liverpool, because they are a far better team than Stoke, and a side with top four aspirations, whereas Stoke very much aren't.
I was surprised by such a lacklustre performance only three games in, but hopefully it is just a temporary blip on the radar, rather than a portent of things to come.
City do have a habit of throwing in the odd head-scratcher of a ninety minutes every so often, usually out of left field, and this may be just one such odd occasion.
Personally I don't think we can assess it's impact objectively until we see how or if it impacts on the remainder of the season.
All sides have a bad day at the office - here's hoping this was ours.

lancs blue said:
It's not so much the defeat that concerns me, it's that we've looked sluggish in the opening three games - even against the dippers we never really hit top gear. While it's good to get two wins while not playing especially well there are three tough games coming straight after the international break where we will need to be at our best.
Very short pre season for the WC players combined with a bad day at the office and some awful luck and cheatingofficiating from Mason.
We'll improve.

The thing that bothered me more than the defeat, was the realisation that I will be watching an exact same defensive format in at least 12 of the next 17 home games, if not more.

It's dull as fuck to watch. Victims of our own success. This was creeping in more and more at the end of last season and it's now always a case of having to score first else it's a long day ahead.

quite the opposite actually tolm.

it was a point of discussion on tram going home saturday. days gone by i would have been gutted about such a defeat, but these days, could be a bit of arrogance i don't know maybe confidence, but whatever we were of the opinion that this is likely to be a rarity and on another day we would of racked up a score with an early goal.

it was a take it on the chin, well done stoke and move on without to many recriminations.

we cannot affect what others do and we are just as likely to beat arsenal and chelsea as any other result such is the strength and depth of our squad

happy days

fbloke said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

We didnt exactly give them a footballing lesson last season either.

This is true, bud.

Although, if Stoke are indeed a barometer for where we currently stand as a team and club, we had better find someone easier to live up to?

May I suggest United ;)

Its frustrating because it seems like a bankable 3 points conceded. But these things happen and its better to sacrifice 3 points to Stoke rather than Liverpool.

There's probably also an increased sense of nervousness because we have Arsenal and Chelsea coming up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.