This Stoke defeat?

Well 2 wins out of 3 games is better than 2 draws and a win but in a funny way the negative wouldn't be as bad weird really..

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Rolee said:
Perhaps a subconscious sense of foreboding that complacency will be our greatest rival this season? I dunno, just throwing it out there.

Or Icclecityitus as I like to call it?

Maybe we will never rid ourselves of the sense that it is all going to end and go back to whence we came?

cityitis is definitely there especially among those who can remember the bad times

a perpective on where we are

me and my lads(who have only known the good times) for a bit of fun do predictions prior to each games

more often than not they predict 3 and 4 goals per game where as i'm always cautious 1-0 2-1 etc or in tight games, away draws and sometimes a defeat

in the last few season who do you think has been right more often, not me i can tell you.

they are seeing it for what it is where as i can't but not be cautious harking back to the dark days

the squad talent we have and i hope to continue to have, we will win most and score big in a lot of games.

as our chairman said we take a pinch, that's all it was.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Rolee said:
Perhaps a subconscious sense of foreboding that complacency will be our greatest rival this season? I dunno, just throwing it out there.

Maybe we will never rid ourselves of the sense that it is all going to end and go back to whence we came?

nah, it's a time thing.

We have gone from being back in the Prem being seen as a positive, a top 10 finish in the Prem as a good (great) season, pushing for Champs League and then winning two titles and now expecting to do well in the Champs League in the space of.... 13 or 14 seasons?

sorry, i'm not going to bleat on about remembering the past etc, but what I want to say is that the fanbase is mostly similar to what it has been for the last decade and all those memories exist, the City-itis etc, so I doubt that until swathes of new fans high on the confidence of multiple titles and assured top 3 finishes come through in greater numbers, then we will probably always assume a City-itis prevails. IMO.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Seems to have hit blues harder than it should?

Obviously, nobody saw it coming, we are masters of the universe at home.

Can't help feeling it's the frustration of defeat which has since got plenty looking at everything in a negative light, following the sale of Negredo and United signing Falcao?

I'm still pissed about the performance and result on Saturday, especially with Chelsea winning at Everton, and games to come against direct title rivals.

The international break hasn't afforded us an instant pick-me-up.

In a wider sense, though, have we set the bar so high that anything negative is now seen as crisis or failure? Feast or famine?

If we had lost to Liverpool at home, instead of Stoke, would the perspective of some be any different?

I get where you are coming from, but I think the reverse is true. If we'd lost to Liverpool I'd have been more concerned than losing to Stoke.

A good parallel to the Stoke game was Villa away last season. We were clearly the better side, on the front foot, all the possession, all the chances, and lost to a breakaway counter attack with individual mistakes from our defenders and keeper. It happens to every good side once in a while, and nothing to be worried about.

If we'd lost to Liverpool it would have been more of a parallel with the Chelsea defeat at home last season. I was really concerned at that loss because we were playing against a side of similar quality to us, and we got out thought, out manoeuvred, and deserved to lose.

Hopefully the Stoke loss is a wake up call to complacency which could end up being a good thing that it's happened so early. Also we're clearly not at full fitness yet, we didn't hit our peak until December last year. We were 8th in November and still won the league, so let's not get too carried away.

tonea2003 said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Rolee said:

cityitis is definitely there especially among those who can remember the bad times

a perpective on where we are

me and my lads(who have only known the good times) for a bit of fun do predictions prior to each games

more often than not they predict 3 and 4 goals per game where as i'm always cautious 1-0 2-1 etc or in tight games, away draws and sometimes a defeat

in the last few season who do you think has been right more often, not me i can tell you.

they are seeing it for what it is where as i can't but not be cautious harking back to the dark days

the squad talent we have and i hope to continue to have, we will win most and score big in a lot of games.

as our chairman said we take a pinch, that's all it was.

I took my little boy on Saturday for his upcoming 7th birthday. He has never seen City lose in a live game, in fact all the games he has been to, we have won by three goals or more.

I stayed at home to watch the Wigan Cup Final with him. He was in tears and it choked me up.

He looked pretty confused on Saturday but expects us to bounce back by beating Arsenal 4-0!

He's a lucky little bugger!

Shaelumstash said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

Can't help feeling it's the frustration of defeat which has since got plenty looking at everything in a negative light, following the sale of Negredo and United signing Falcao?

I'm still pissed about the performance and result on Saturday, especially with Chelsea winning at Everton, and games to come against direct title rivals.

In a wider sense, though, have we set the bar so high that anything negative is now seen as crisis or failure? Feast or famine?

If we had lost to Liverpool at home, instead of Stoke, would the perspective of some be any different?

I get where you are coming from, but I think the reverse is true. If we'd lost to Liverpool I'd have been more concerned than losing to Stoke.

A good parallel to the Stoke game was Villa away last season. We were clearly the better side, on the front foot, all the possession, all the chances, and lost to a breakaway counter attack with individual mistakes from our defenders and keeper. It happens to every good side once in a while, and nothing to be worried about.

If we'd lost to Liverpool it would have been more of a parallel with the Chelsea defeat at home last season. I was really concerned at that loss because we were playing against a side of similar quality to us, and we got out thought, out manoeuvred, and deserved to lose.

Hopefully the Stoke loss is a wake up call to complacency which could end up being a good thing that it's happened so early. Also we're clearly not at full fitness yet, we didn't hit our peak until December last year. We were 8th in November and still won the league, so let's not get too carried away.

That's what I was also trying to infer. If we had lost to Liverpool, I believe that would have set down a serious marker we had not pushed on.

I bet the fear of two years ago remains in people's minds, and understandably so.

We've had a good summer and apart from the Stoke game, a good start. However, potential early season blues and the negativity of deadline day could easily provide some unwanted Deja Vu regarding the 2012/13 season where there were question marks over the window (in particular how it ended) and how despite winning games we never really hit a good run of form that season. Good results against Arsenal & Chelsea after the break will swing the mood completely.

tolmie's hairdoo said:

Every match going Blue i know did what they always do after an unexpected loss. They moaned a bit about the result then got on with the business of supporting City.
The internet fans on the other hand are still pissing and whining but have yet to set foot inside Eastlands.

More than the loss,it was the way in which we lost which upset me the most,no fighting spirit,no urgency,no winning mentality shown by any of the city players.Yaya was the only one who atleast attempted to do something.The rest were just standing there fannying around with the ball as it was some training session.Had we won this game,it would have been easier going into the ars and chelsea games,now it all looks like an uphill task.Also i don't think players must take their starting spot for granted,guys like milner,navas must be given chances if the likes of nasri and jovetic are not doing well.Hopefully the issues will be addressed and we will back to our best in the coming weeks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.