This Throw In BS

Barcon said:
If it's not about wasting time, why doesn't he just wear a pair of them grippy gloves?

Couple of reasons i think.

1.) I don't think they help him and in fact make it more difficult
2.) It's Rory Delap, he's a man's man and has no doubt spent his whole career laughing at other players who wear gloves and now even bloody scarfs to play football in.

I know when i grew up you'd have been laughed off the pitch for wearing gloves and i'm sure he's the same.

As i said, he takes just as long when we are losing and he needs to wait for the defenders to get forward anyway. No different to a corner or a set-piece.

UNCLE MORT said:
Who gives him the towels when they play away?

Nobody, he doesn't use one away, it's the home teams choice. He just has to loop them a bit more to get the same distance.

He uses his shirt when they play away. At least, that's what happened at Eastlands.

ballymunblue said:
what would happen if all players called for a towel for every throw in

Anyone one who plays at Stoke can use the towels. If the referee stopped the away team from doing it, it would be seen as an unfair advantage to the home side.

Tricky_Rici said:
Barcon said:
If it's not about wasting time, why doesn't he just wear a pair of them grippy gloves?

Couple of reasons i think.

1.) I don't think they help him and in fact make it more difficult
2.) It's Rory Delap, he's a man's man and has no doubt spent his whole career laughing at other players who where gloves and now even bloody scarfs to play football in.

I know when i grew up you'd have been laughed off the pitch for wearing gloves and i'm sure he's the same.

As i said, he takes just as long when we are losing and he needs to wait for the defenders to get forward anyway. No different to a corner or a set-piece.

My point was, he looks like a nancy using a towel and he might as well be wearing gloves and a scarf.

On average each team gets 26 throw-ins per game. Taking 30 seconds(sometimes delap takes 40 seconds) for each throw-in would result in at least 26 minutes of time added on per match.

I'd love to see a team (whether 1 nill up or needing a draw) use the delap dry-cleaning tactic on every throw they get. Infact, play for throw ins so that you get more than the average.

Tricky_Rici said:
Fair comments fellas. I'm a Stoke fan and the towel thing annoys me aswell. It's embarassing and after every victory it's all we ever hear about which takes away any credit we may get from the other two very good goals we scored.

The one thing i would argue with though is the "time-wasting" thing. Yes it takes a while for him to take a throw, that's not even up for debate, but he doesn't do it to run down the clock. When the cameras are on him wiping the ball, 9 times out of 10, everybody on the pitch isn't just standing there waiting. The two centre halves are running 60 yards to get into the box as it's a set-piece for us just the same as a free kick or a corner. Plus he also still wipes it when we we are losing and takes just as long so it not time-wasting to gain an advantage but solely so he can get a better grip. As i said, i wouldn't care if they banned the towel tomorrow but if at corners and free kicks you're allowed to wait until your defenders get forwards into the box i don't really see the difference for a throw in to be honest.

Last night when he was wiping it and then throwing it 5 yards it was laughable and again embarassing but we don't play against 10 men every week and you had every opportunity to mark the free players but even though you were losing you seemed to think the best tactic was to pack the box and assume we'd keep chucking it in.

As i said though, if the camera was taken off Delap wiping the ball and instead put on the centre halves running up the pitch you'd see the ball more than often comes in pretty quickly after they get there (assuming the ref doesn't have to speak to players trying to rugby tackle each other before it comes in of course.)

If we didnt pack the box then thats excactly where it would go....wonder what would happen if a player tried to dry the ball before a free kick to get a better spin on it ???

BigP said:
CITYMANCS-REJECT said:
Balls out of plays therefore it is all added on hence the 5 minutes end of the first half.

I thank you, subject settled.

Were you paying attention? There was only 3 minutes at the end of the first half.

I was paying attention but missed that. It was 5 minutes after 90 minutes so 8 minutes of Delap towelling off. My most profuse apologies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.