----Kompany-------De Jong----------Lescott
------------------------------------------------
Richards-----------------------------------Clichy
------------Toure-------------------------------
-------------------------Nasri------------------
------Silva--------------------------Balo-------
-------------------Dzeko-----------------------

When we were in possession.

are you an interior designer that's some funky, modern art peculiar formation.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
pee dubya said:
If we were to go down the Barca route, it'd look more like:

----------------------Hart-------------------
----Kompany-------De Jong----------Lescott
------------------------------------------------
Richards-----------------------------------Clichy
------------Toure-------------------------------
-------------------------Nasri------------------
------Silva--------------------------Balo-------
-------------------Dzeko-----------------------

When we were in possession.

are you an interior designer that's some funky, modern art peculiar formation.
That's pretty much the way Barca play though, Busquets drops in and the centre backs spread out wider, gives them the angles they need to build from the back and pass around anyone who tries to press from the front. Xavi plays where Toure is, Iniesta like Nasri (we have no-one actually in the squad who would fit the role except Silva, but then there's no-one to play the left attacking spot).

Someone like Aguero would suit more than Dzeko, because Villa drifts wide quite often, with Messi or Pedro coming through the middle.

The full-backs basically play like midfielders up the pitch, having 3 at the back kind of gives them that license.

I'd say it was...

-----------------Valdes----------------

--------Puyol----Pique--------Abidal--
-^------------------------------v-
-Alves---------------------------------
-v--------------------------------
-----------------Busquets-----------
----------------------------^--------
---------Iniesta---------Xavi--------
----------------------------v---------
Messi>>>>><Pedro><<<<<Villa--

-------------------Hart
-------Savic---Kompany---Lescott
Richards--------de Jong--------Clichy
-----------Y. Toure-----Nasri
--------------------Silva
-------------------Aguero

We were the one of the best defenses last season playing 4 at the back with NDJ just in front. Wouldn't change or mess with it at all our fullbacks will get forward any way. Theres a lot of talk about we should attack more and get forward more next season, remember, you need a top defense to win things, don't change something that works.

WOAH! Barcelona do not play 3-4-3 , although at times it may look like it.

They do have a relatively new take on the defensive midfield position. (considering I am not aware of anyone doing this before, and this is the position Guardiola himself played I assume this is his brain child - correct me if I'm wrong)

If you watch most teams, when a fullback goes forward their defensive midfielder fills in at the full back position (de jong is brilliant at this). Whereas Busquets drops into more a CB position. This separates the CB's which is probably why most teams don't do it. The benefit of this however is that it allows both full backs to attack at the same time.

Obviously this system is very deeply floored defensively. The most important aspect of this style of play is not giving the ball away. Barcelona's patient build up allows them to avoid being punished for throwing both full backs forward. This is why they take every free kick short, don't play long balls, and don't cross the ball much. In the rare occasion they give the ball away cheaply they are vulnerable and can be got at (see what Arsenal have done to them at times over the last few years).

We can't play like this. This set-up would probably be less successful in a physical based, counter attacking league like the EPL than in a technical based league like La Liga, obviously we can't know for sure until someone tries. But more importantly we just don't have the players, Xavi and Iniesta are probably the two best players in the world at playing short intricate one touch passing, and the rest of their players are considerably better at it than the likes of Micah (nothing against him). We would give the ball away too much an be punished for it. Also Xavi is underrated defensively, he takes up clever positions that make up for his lack of pace, strength, tackling ability, and effort.

Oddly, while writing this it has occurred to me that Arsenal could, and probably should be trying to play more like Barca, if they gave the ball away less, they would under less pressure defensively, and would be a force to be reckoned (well at least they would be if they still had Nasri and Fabregas etc)

This is just my take on Barca's formation. I have not had it explained to me in detail by Pep over some paella, just observed it and tried to make sense of it. :)<br /><br />-- Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:26 pm --<br /><br />
citytilidie85 said:
We were the one of the best defenses last season playing 4 at the back with NDJ just in front. Wouldn't change or mess with it at all our fullbacks will get forward any way. Theres a lot of talk about we should attack more and get forward more next season, remember, you need a top defense to win things, don't change something that works.

More importantly this +100

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.