----Kompany-------De Jong----------Lescott
------------------------------------------------
Richards-----------------------------------Clichy
------------Toure-------------------------------
-------------------------Nasri------------------
------Silva--------------------------Balo-------
-------------------Dzeko-----------------------

When we were in possession.

are you an interior designer that's some funky, modern art peculiar formation.
That's pretty much the way Barca play though, Busquets drops in and the centre backs spread out wider, gives them the angles they need to build from the back and pass around anyone who tries to press from the front. Xavi plays where Toure is, Iniesta like Nasri (we have no-one actually in the squad who would fit the role except Silva, but then there's no-one to play the left attacking spot).

Someone like Aguero would suit more than Dzeko, because Villa drifts wide quite often, with Messi or Pedro coming through the middle.

The full-backs basically play like midfielders up the pitch, having 3 at the back kind of gives them that license.

I meant to point out that pee dubya is pretty much spot on. :)

Well, having HARDLY EVER played a video game in my life (I'm 47!!) and certainly not FIFA or Football Manager, it is interesting to see who obviously does!

I did play with 4 professional clubs in England (City, Sunderland, Leeds and Oldham) before playing pro in the States, plus coaching a few teams along the way. Sorry to disappoint the video game generation, but some people have actually learned by doing!

Some interesting points from a few of the students of the game, though.

I agree that Barca plays more of a back four and when they release their full backs, their DM slides back into a back three. However, OUR DM has no height, and is a "breaker-up" of play, thus is not best suited for a "back three" position. THAT is why I thought Mancini might opt for a flexible Back 5/3 and release the full backs when we are in possession.

Clearly, Kolarov (and now Clichy) were bought NOT to be a defensive left full back, but to be a more attacking presence down the left, whipping crosses in. Last season, we ALL saw how offensive minded Micah was, and how he was not nearly as arsed to get back, because of the cover.

All I am saying is that Mancini has ALREADY set his stall out that 1-0 is fine with him and that a clean sheet is the "be all and end all" of Premier League football. Note: Hart set a new clean sheet record and our team defensive record was second top of the league.

So, WHEN WE ATTACK, why not spread a BACK 3 across the halfway line, sit NDJ in the area on the edge of the center circle and play with, basically, full backs as wingers/outside midfielders, with Yaya sitting just behind a front 3 who are all mobile enough to play anywhere across the front line, or have Silva and Toure in that hole behind a more orthodox front two of Dzeko and Mario.

Going forward, we would be playing with SIX ATTACKERS, and when we defended, we would have AT LEAST a back 3 with a DM, and more likely a back 5 with a DM and Yaya recovering into the middle.

I fully expect us to defend FAR FURTHER UP THE FIELD and be FAR MORE AGGRESSIVE in trying to recover the ball after losing it. THAT is Barca and ManU's "secret" to their high pressure game against opponents. United could not handle it against Barca, because they were technically too good, too quick and too accurate. THAT is why Mancini wants TECHNICALLY PROFICIENT PLAYERS and gesticulates so much when we lose the ball within 60 yards of our own goal and (ESPECIALLY when we play 4-2-3-1) screams at those 3 to get back and recover the ball. Problem is, the English game is so physical and fast that it is VERY DIFFICULT to play the Barca defensive pressure game.

Certainly NOT saying we will set up this way every game, but we have Champions League group games away where it is VITAL that we do not lose and home games that HAVE TO be won.

Just a thought!

I think all teams should play 3 at the back and wing backs. Then I can pretend it's the late 90s and that I'm back in my 20s.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.