Time for the CFG to get teams in Ireland and Scotland.

I think you’ll find that those that play football(soccer) have no problem supporting their county in GAA. After all we probably all played GAA too at school.

You’ll find that the GAA when you get to a serious level though, frown upon their members playing football (soccer).

I played donkeys years ago at not that high a level with a Dublin footballer, who used to come out for pure enjoyment on a Sunday when he could. He couldn’t let on to the Dublin panel that he was doing this though, even though they were both just amateur sports.

People over here generally follow duel codes, as we say.

I currently work with an ex Dublin legend. He’s an Everton supporter.
Must ask him where that came from.
Everton have had a long association with Home Farm FC in Dublin iirc

The whole rules in sport re: eligibility based on nationality are crazy.
I recall watching 2 brothers running against each other in the Olympics, one for Qatar and the other for Kenya. The Qatari runner had no association to them.
Jorginho playing for Italy in football, Eoin Morgan playing cricket for England, Zola Budd, Greg Rusedski, countless numbers of rugby players in the current world cup for several countries.
Going back 1 generation should be enough, so the country where the person was born or the birth place of their parents.
There will be exceptions to this but getting to play for a country based on marriage etc. Should be ruled out.
Laporte should not be playing for Spain but I would make an exception in the case of Sterling who came to England at a very young age and has spent most of his life here.

Not sure any sports use marriage as a qualification do they?

It’s usually based on parents/ grandparents or residency in most sports that I know of at least.

The Boateng brothers famously played against each other of course, in the 2010 World Cup.

Not sure any sports use marriage as a qualification do they?

It’s usually based on parents/ grandparents or residency in most sports that I know of at least.

The Boateng brothers famously played against each other of course, in the 2010 World Cup.
I was speaking about sports in general.
Ideally they should all have the one rule.

Athletes can change base on marriage.
If an athlete changes citizenship through marriage, the transfer to the new country is automatic with immediate effect, naturally with the approval of the new country’s federation.

I remember the Boateng brothers.
Kevin Prince played with Germany at under age level but then changed to Ghana. That was unusual alright.

Just seen a headline indicating we have bought another English club.
7c219ac2418d8378d98e61b1c4bb05e3.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.