Time for the CFG to get teams in Ireland and Scotland.

Few if any Irish clubs are interested in this model, they favour the fan ownership model and would run far from this, Shelbourne FC are now controlled by the Hull owners but that will be very much the exception. The league itself is growing quickly, attendances are up massively and many grounds are sold out. Teams have very good youth set ups and connections to local youth teams. Issue though is keeping the talented youth as many get taken by foreign clubs. My local team has lost in the past couple of weeks players to Serie A and La Liga clubs. Funding is of course an issue as its crazy the money gaa and the racing industry gets compared to football but that will change and the sooner the better.
It will change, we’re getting our act together under age. Rovers u/14 academy are beating the English academies regularly.
The underage league of Ireland is a great idea. The top players at rovers would be championship level on their day which is decent.
It’s way ahead of the league up the north.
Most kids play GAA and football, its not an either or choice.

Delighted the Dubs won the all Ireland, can see no contradiction in following The Dubs and Bohs, anymore than following City and Lancy cricket.
Rovers v Bohs games are class, looking forward to when Dalyer gets re-vamped and we get more tickets to Lord it over your lot !

No , quite the opposite.
Replying to posters saying that Aidan McGeady and Terry Phelan aren't irish.

I mentioned Phelan and didn’t say he wasn’t Irish or shouldn’t have played for Ireland. In fact he is one of a very small group of English born Irish players who would have had a realistic chance of playing for England if he’d chosen them.

Unlike some Englishmen who just used Ireland as a way of getting a game at international level, Phelan was always very proud of his Irish roots and never showed any interest in representing anyone else from Under 21s through to the first team.

And where’s Johnny Giles and Liam Brady. David O’Leary? Steve Highway?
It was Steve Heighway. I as at school with him in Cheadle back in the day.

We could also add Johnny Crossan,Tony Dunne, Frank Stapleton, Johnny Carey, Norman Whiteside, Kevin Moran, Martin O'Neill, Paddy Fegan, Neil Lennon, Jason McAteer, Ronnie Whelan, Sammy McIlroy, Steve Finnan, and Phil Babb.

A few were world class players, most were solid journeymen.

I mentioned Phelan and didn’t say he wasn’t Irish or shouldn’t have played for Ireland. In fact he is one of a very small group of English born Irish players who would have had a realistic chance of playing for England if he’d chosen them.

Unlike some Englishmen who just used Ireland as a way of getting a game at international level, Phelan was always very proud of his Irish roots and never showed any interest in representing anyone else from Under 21s through to the first team.
England are the worst team for this, in particular Matt Le Tissier, who said no one should play for England who isn't English, yet he did himself without being English.

Just hold a mirror up.

The whole rules in sport re: eligibility based on nationality are crazy.
I recall watching 2 brothers running against each other in the Olympics, one for Qatar and the other for Kenya. The Qatari runner had no association to them.
Jorginho playing for Italy in football, Eoin Morgan playing cricket for England, Zola Budd, Greg Rusedski, countless numbers of rugby players in the current world cup for several countries.
Going back 1 generation should be enough, so the country where the person was born or the birth place of their parents.
There will be exceptions to this but getting to play for a country based on marriage etc. Should be ruled out.
Laporte should not be playing for Spain but I would make an exception in the case of Sterling who came to England at a very young age and has spent most of his life here.

The whole rules in sport re: eligibility based on nationality are crazy.
I recall watching 2 brothers running against each other in the Olympics, one for Qatar and the other for Kenya. The Qatari runner had no association to them.
Jorginho playing for Italy in football, Eoin Morgan playing cricket for England, Zola Budd, Greg Rusedski, countless numbers of rugby players in the current world cup for several countries.
Going back 1 generation should be enough, so the country where the person was born or the birth place of their parents.
There will be exceptions to this but getting to play for a country based on marriage etc. Should be ruled out.
Laporte should not be playing for Spain but I would make an exception in the case of Sterling who came to England at a very young age and has spent most of his life here.
Or easier still. Scrap internationals completely.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.