Time keeping, technology and the premier league product

jollylescott

I think there is a case to take time keeping off the referees. The premier league product is a billion dollar business still operating in many respects in a very old fashioned way. For example in many major football codes the paying public and the world wide viewing audience is aware of precisely how long there is to go in a game. In the NFL this is the case as well as the major codes where I come from (Australia).

Let me give an example of how this could operate in the EPL. The clock would run from zero to 45 minutes. When the referee wants to signal time off (say for a substitution or an injury) in the Australian codes he simply puts his arm up and the clock stops. Another example could be the couple of minutes spent arguing and milling about if a free kick is awarded outside the box. The referee could have the discretion to stop the clock in such cases. The game would end at the end of the 90 minutes, not by the referee but by a siren at the end of that time. The viewing audience would know exactly how long there was to go in a game.

The second area for improvement could be the utilisation of a video referee to adjudicate on a potential off side when a goal is scored. I have seen too many goals scored in this manner and the technology is available to look at off sides. Why not get the fourth official actually doing something useful? Have him in a box replaying goals where the referee has some doubt about off side? In practise the current large screen at grounds would be used to signal goal or no goal.

These are just a couple of ideas to utilise technology and enhance the viewing experience. In relation to both these suggestions I would like to know whether the premier league has the legal authority to try something different. Given the eternity taken to introduce goal line technology do I assume that FIFA has the absolute power to control any change whatsoever?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

the time bit falls down if a team is on the attack, the attack is allowed to finish before the whistle goes.
you could end up with the whistle blowing when someone is about to score.

I'd be happy to see a 'ball in play' counter - eg 30 minutes of actual footba each way. From memory and withou checking it out I think that the ball is in play for around 60 minutes each match so why not formalise this and the game will finish he next time the ball goes out once the 30 minutes are up. Easy to administer too

Re video refs, if there is a contentious moment, the game should continue however the ref should signal for a review. This would take place behind the scenes and if there was found to be an incorrect decision he ref would stop the game and the free kick/penalty etc would be the point from which the game continues. In zaba's case vs riise on Saturday, this could have been reviewed without stopping the game and the n at the next natiural break in play riise could have been booked for theatrics.

I believe you are correct in saying that FIFA have the ultimate authority on amending any rules within the game.

With regards to your points. I would say no to any video technology. For me the linesmen get the vast majority of decisions correct and I can live with any incorrect decisions as being part of the game. If we start getting third parties involved in the game for offside we'll start getting them involved in everything and then the essence of the game is changed forever. You say 'old-fashioned' but for me that is part of the purity of the game. I don't really see an issue with time-keeping either, the referees give between 3 - 6 minutes depending on what has happened previously, the system works so why change it to a third party giving 3 - 6 minutes?

Stato said:
the time bit falls down if a team is on the attack, the attack is allowed to finish before the whistle goes.

So?

The current rules don't mention letting an attack finish, the only time you can go past the added on time is for a penalty kick to be taken.

Stato said:
Doesn't matter, Clive thomas in a Brazil-Sweden World Cup match blew the whistle when the ball was in the air from a corner and disallowed a goal for Brazil about 0.5 seconds later because the whistle had already gone.

The game would become like the NFL. Yes we would get 90 mins of football but over a period of 2-3 hours.

No one would know when the game would end, games would run over each other on a Super Sunday, it would be a mess.

A horn noise to signal the end of the match?

Lol...

The unpredictability of the game is one major beauty of the sport.
The more it goes clinical the less I would enjoy the game.

As much as I dislike bad decisions, fergietime and so on... if everything was done to perfection the game would be a complete borefest for me.

The day this game introduces Time outs and all that shit is the day I time out and throw in the season ticket.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.