Tinnitus help and advice - Tinnitus Awareness Week 1-7 Feb (P 15)

Mate, thank you but I have acute tinnitus and I'm 20% deaf do to 'industrial injuries'. When I get it bad it's very difficult to cope with. Thing is I'm unemployed and my body clock is out of sync. Been trying to eat well and only drink in moderation. Earlier I had 3 jcans of beer just to help me sleep. I'm happy enough having a couple of pints of water a night an I can't afford to become addicted to alcohol. I'm mentally shattered but I just can't nod off. I have a pair of herring aids I should be wearing but after only 2 days one of them broke, and I can't use one as it's an imbalance of sound. I don't have much problem sleeping most of the time. It's just the way the world is at the mo and personal things to worry about, well. I'll survive and try n' get back on an even keel. Stormy head seas at mo.
I feel for you, I've had it for 20 odd years now thinking about it it is always there squealing away in the background about 5 years ago I had bacterial pneumonia and the medication killed the 8KHZ frequency so tinnitus kicked in even more to compensate for the loss, forcing me to get aids which have really helped as they are tuned to the loss.
I'm lucky I seem to be able to switch off mentally from it but probably not as bad as yours

I feel for you, I've had it for 20 odd years now thinking about it it is always there squealing away in the background about 5 years ago I had bacterial pneumonia and the medication killed the 8KHZ frequency so tinnitus kicked in even more to compensate for the loss, forcing me to get aids which have really helped as they are tuned to the loss.
I'm lucky I seem to be able to switch off mentally from it but probably not as bad as yours
Thanks pal. What caused or what you think caused yours 20 odd years ago? you don't mind me asking.

I feel a bit of a **** going cap in hand for another pair. The NHS need money to sort covid than deal with me and I'm cool with that. Thanks pal.
If you are having a rough time, even though your attitude to the NHS is admirable, I wouldn't be too fussed about trying to get hold of a new pair. Sometimes you need to look after yourself and put yourself first. And you sound like a really decent person to me.

A bit of advice from t'internet .....

Can you wear a hearing aid if you have tinnitus?

Hearing aids allow wearers to hear sound they might be missing, which can effectively mask a lot of the tinnitus ringing. When you're able to hear everything going on around you the tinnitus doesn't sound so loud. Additionally, tinnitus masking can be programmed to hearing aids and help alleviate symptoms.

..... so i'd say you've got nothing to lose by giving hearing aids a go.

Mine has gotten worse since lockdown, I have been unable to get my hearing aids serviced and can't wear them. It's a constant droning, bearable but very annoying.

If you are having a rough time, even though your attitude to the NHS is admirable, I wouldn't be too fussed about trying to get hold of a new pair. Sometimes you need to look after yourself and put yourself first. And you sound like a really decent person to me.
I am decent, thank you. Means a lot because I'm struggling at the moment. Noise noise noise the Damned. May as well listen to it and drown out this noise. Grrrr.

Thanks to others who hace shown empathy and support. Kind of you all. Top bananas

Flare Audio products are worth a look. I use a set of these when listening to my open-back hifi headphones and they certainly sound improve things in the mid-range.

I personally don't suffer from tinnitus, but I know a couple of people do. One swears by them (he says they massively reduce the tinnitus), and the other has tried them and they don't do anything.

5:49am and this fuckin' tinnitus is driving me nuts. Been awake all night and I'm trying to sleep. it's causing me anxiety as this noise never sleeps! 24/7 of high pitched bastard screeching! : (

Sounds perverse and condescending to say it, and i really don't mean it that way, but nothing can really substitute 'learning to live with it' and accepting it.

Believe me, i know it is a struggle, mentally to rely on your mind to ward off a non-mind problem. But it really is a vicious cycle otherwise, if you let yourself get annoyed at the fact it is there. Which, i know, is always there.

It has been a huge help, i notice it, i acknowledge it, and i try then get on with whatever it is that lets me distract from dwelling on it.

Incidentally, have you tried either the finger tapping, as a short term distraction, or perhaps lowering blood pressure to take it down a notch? total minor minor bits, but every little bit adds up to take the frustration away.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.