Tinnitus help and advice - Tinnitus Awareness Week 1-7 Feb (P 15)

I received another pair of hearing aids today in the post as I've lost my previous pair. Thing is they didn't send any instructions and I haven't got any. I have tried them and tinnitus I can't hear now so hopefully they will reduce to a level that doesn't constantly annoy me.

Getting used to the background amplification and whistling though will take some getting used to. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

These are mine for anyone who has same model.

Bluemoon seems to have a habit of threads popping up when I need them.

For a few years now i've been convinced I can hear electrics. It's only when i'm somewhere quiet that I can hear a low humming noise all the time. It honestly does sound like a generator. I can only assume the years of having music too loud in my earphones has finally done some damage.

I can only describe what I hear as a fleet of Lancaster bombers, sounds like dull droning from a distance away.

I can only describe what I hear as a fleet of Lancaster bombers, sounds like dull droning from a distance away.
Mine is more like a dentists drill been really been bad for last couple of weeks. Sorry but no tips on how to control it.

I am bit self conscious wearing ha does anyone know of one designed as a bluetooth?

play a rain forrest CD or download 1-2 hrs the frequency of rain is similar and masks it also I found it easy to go to sleep with it
Mate, thank you but I have acute tinnitus and I'm 20% deaf do to 'industrial injuries'. When I get it bad it's very difficult to cope with. Thing is I'm unemployed and my body clock is out of sync. Been trying to eat well and only drink in moderation. Earlier I had 3 jcans of beer just to help me sleep. I'm happy enough having a couple of pints of water a night an I can't afford to become addicted to alcohol. I'm mentally shattered but I just can't nod off. I have a pair of herring aids I should be wearing but after only 2 days one of them broke, and I can't use one as it's an imbalance of sound. I don't have much problem sleeping most of the time. It's just the way the world is at the mo and personal things to worry about, well. I'll survive and try n' get back on an even keel. Stormy head seas at mo.

Last edited:
Blue Moon Rising, I also have severe, bilateral tinnitus. For some reason, even if I nap for only a few seconds, my already loud tinnitus - which consists of many sounds, the most prominent of which resemble a miniature chainsaw and a screaming tea kettle - goes through the roof. And it is always off the scale first thing in the morning. I also wear hearing aids in both ears.

Fortunately, that morning tinnitus does calm down after a while.

Over the years, in spite of all this, I have been able to come to terms with this situation. I am now retired but the work I did was thoroughly absorbing. So I would go many hours without noticing it. However, now that I am stuck at home in a quieter environment, it has become foregrounded again. So over the last few months I have had problems with it again.

Presently, as you probably already know, there is no medical treatment for this condition, though there are some in the pipeline.

So all that exists are therapies that are designed to dampen one's emotional response to this condition. The trick is to get to a point where you no longer react emotionally to your tinnitus. It then drops below the threshold of conscious awareness. It's a bit like when you are in a noisy plane, train or car but wrapped up in a book. You don't hear the engine noise.

It can take time to get to that point as the brain is automatically predisposed to see tinnitus as a threat. So the 'fight or flight' response kicks in.

Presently, there are two approaches that can help to facilitate this process: CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) and MBCT (Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy).

In the case of CBT, a whole book exists that has been authored with tinnitus sufferers in mind. It contains exercises that you can work through to get you to this point.

The whole text is available for free here.

In my case, I went down the MBCT path. This approach is geared to the management of chronic pain. All I did was adapt the protocol for tinnitus.

This publication describes the process. It is usually easy to acquire a cheap secondhand copy.

th

Lastly, I would also recommend sampling the articles that you will find here:

It might be an idea to sleep in a more sound enriched environment, maybe by listening to waterfall, rain or rainforest sounds on YouTube through an iPhone if you have one. Some of the samples on YouTube go on for as long as 10 hours.

You will also find tinnitus veterans on this forum who will be happy to provide specific advice if need be.

Hope this post helps in some way.

Last edited:
I have a pair of herring aids I should be wearing but after only 2 days one of them broke, and I can't use one as it's an imbalance of sound.
If they are NHS ones, get in touch with your GP. They might be easy to repair. You could also try Specsavers, as they do hearing aids these days. Of course, there could be a charge for this. But if you take them along, the audiologist might, at least, be able to give you an idea of what the problem is for free.

If they are NHS ones, get in touch with your GP. They might be easy to repair. You could also try Specsavers, as they do hearing aids these days. Of course, there could be a charge for this. But if you take them along, the audiologist might, at least, be able to give you an idea of what the problem is for free.
Thing is I'm on my second pair now in 18 months. I think I left the first pair in the hotel and the second pair I somehow broke one second day of wearing them. I feel a bit of a **** going cap in hand for another pair. The NHS need money to sort covid than deal with me and I'm cool with that. Thanks pal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.