Tinnitus help and advice - Tinnitus Awareness Week 1-7 Feb (P 15)

Anyone had a hearing aid fitted and it’s improved it ?
Supposed to be getting mine fitted Thursday, the fact I’m posting at this time should be enough to show that it’s keeping me awake !
I had a pair I wore a few times but they needed fine tuning as background noise was amplified too much. I think I left them in a hotel bedside cabinet a few weeks after having them fitted so I can't say that they helped me. But had I got them adjusted to suit me I probably wouldn't be suffering day and night. Good luck with the fitting pal.

I had a pair I wore a few times but they needed fine tuning as background noise was amplified too much. I think I left them in a hotel bedside cabinet a few weeks after having them fitted so I can't say that they helped me. But had I got them adjusted to suit me I probably wouldn't be suffering day and night. Good luck with the fitting pal.

Thanks bud, I'll see how I get on .

I’m getting tinnitus badly at the moment. I was born deaf so it’s not a new problem. It tends to come and go.

Supposed to be getting mine fitted Thursday, the fact I’m posting at this time should be enough to show that it’s keeping me awake !
It’s made a massive difference to my tinnitus, I was very sceptical that it would help and thought it would just amplify the ringing but I’m now glad I got them. The NHS ones are pretty discreet too and you can’t see them except from behind if you have short hair.

Driving me fuckin' nuts this bastard tinnitus. I can only sleep when I'm totally knackered. Been awake all night and just starting to feel as though I might get some proper sleep. Constant high pitch noise 24-7, not good : (

That is horrible. How long have you had it?

A couple things you can try, often work i find.

Place your palms on your ears, thumbs pointing down the sides of your neck, both hands. Not a tight press, but enough to cover the ears and largely block out outside sound.
With your middle fingers, repeatedly tap the back of your head. There will b a ringy echoey type feel. Do it for a good 30 seconds at least. When you lift your hands, the ringing should feel a lot less intense. It will come back, of course, it is a total temporary after-effect. But it might just be enough to either let you fall asleep or distract you so your mind isn't focused on it as it creeps back.

The other thing i find helps (no idea if this is the same for anyone else) is lowering your blood pressure. Again, temporary states, but i find the ringing far more intense on nights where during the day ive had higher pressure, after salty food, or stress for example, or whatever else has that effect. I know it is a cliche , but a bit of excersise, healthier meals, heck even things like lots of garlic or herbal tea that are meant to naturally lower blood pressure can have an effect on how 'loud' the ringing is at night. Particilarly if you have a build-up of lack of sleep, it gets worse and worse, and a day here and there may be enough to disrupt the cycle.

Good luck pal.

That is horrible. How long have you had it?

A couple things you can try, often work i find.

Place your palms on your ears, thumbs pointing down the sides of your neck, both hands. Not a tight press, but enough to cover the ears and largely block out outside sound.
With your middle fingers, repeatedly tap the back of your head. There will b a ringy echoey type feel. Do it for a good 30 seconds at least. When you lift your hands, the ringing should feel a lot less intense. It will come back, of course, it is a total temporary after-effect. But it might just be enough to either let you fall asleep or distract you so your mind isn't focused on it as it creeps back.

The other thing i find helps (no idea if this is the same for anyone else) is lowering your blood pressure. Again, temporary states, but i find the ringing far more intense on nights where during the day ive had higher pressure, after salty food, or stress for example, or whatever else has that effect. I know it is a cliche , but a bit of excersise, healthier meals, heck even things like lots of garlic or herbal tea that are meant to naturally lower blood pressure can have an effect on how 'loud' the ringing is at night. Particilarly if you have a build-up of lack of sleep, it gets worse and worse, and a day here and there may be enough to disrupt the cycle.

Good luck pal.

Thank you for the helpful advice pal, will try that.

I honestly don't know how long I've suffered tinnitus but was referred to an audiologist by my doctor in March last year as I was constantly struggling to sleep soundly and anxiety was licking in. As I've previously mentioned he said it was definitely caused by 'industrial injuries' and asked have I worked in a noisy environment. I worked. In a couple of noisy factories years ago but always wore ear defenders in noisy areas. I had perfect hearing then, could almost hear an ant scratching it's bollocks in the still of the night: )... Nowadays it's a regular occurrence in that the quieter it is in the early hours it's most often louder in my head, especially caused (I find) in low pressure weather conditions. Most definitely caused by almost 15 years in telecommunications of RF and EMF exposure.

But hey ho, there's a lot worse out there than me complaining of ringing in my ears. I suffer it alone and it never stops. I need to go and see another audiologist though as I've lost my hearing aids. Just feel a bit of a fool having to mention that I've lost them as they are not cheap.

Bluemoon seems to have a habit of threads popping up when I need them.

For a few years now i've been convinced I can hear electrics. It's only when i'm somewhere quiet that I can hear a low humming noise all the time. It honestly does sound like a generator. I can only assume the years of having music too loud in my earphones has finally done some damage.

Yes. I cant be without now. It will take some getting used to as they dont select what they amplify so you will think something is wrong with it at first, but after a week or so you will be fine and wont believe how much better it is

Bluemoon seems to have a habit of threads popping up when I need them.

For a few years now i've been convinced I can hear electrics. It's only when i'm somewhere quiet that I can hear a low humming noise all the time. It honestly does sound like a generator. I can only assume the years of having music too loud in my earphones has finally done some damage.

might well be electricity.
My hi fi amp transformer will hum away some days. I can hear the lights in the kitchen when switched on emit a very low high pitched whine. Walking under overhead power lines and there’s a very deep low hum.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.