To all the Blues no longer with us

My son took this picture about 2 hours after the final whistle in Istanbul - we didn’t know this person but I feel it sums up how many of us felt (we did ask permission to use the picture). Having that moment of pure joy, but thinking of those who shared our journey. In-cred-ibul
75545811-18fc-4d82-9d92-700a4ffbb1c2.jpeg

My son died tragically along with four of his mates from Viola Beach band whilst touring Sweden, we travelled home & away together miss him so much, the club put this photo up the day after the accident against Spurs, the support we received from the club was unbelievable

Attachments

• Viola Beach.png
    Viola Beach.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 36
My son died tragically along with four of his mates from Viola Beach band whilst touring Sweden, we travelled home & away together miss him so much, the club put this photo up the day after the accident against Spurs, the support we received from the club was unbelievable
Oh mate, I was only revisiting that story the other day. Just with it being back in the news this week. So terribly sorry for everything that happened - your son and his mates were all seriously talented lads.

Barely believed it at the time but River's dad, Ben Dunne, used to be the headteacher at my old school, Stockport Academy. Honestly had to take a long pause when I saw his face in connection with the story. My heart shattered for him.

I used to be part of the student council when I was in sixth form so we chatted a lot, on and off. Just about things that'd been raised by the students and put forward to the staff. A nice man, couldn't believe what had happened.

Hope you and yours are keeping on.

I think almost everyone you speak to says that after the final whistle in istanbul they took a moment to themselves and said that one was for you to someone who wasnt there to see it, to thank someone who took us to out first match, who stood by us when times werent so good, we owed them that before we celebrated.

My dad was a lifelong Blue. Still had his programmes from 1950's cup finals etc. Took me to my first game when I was 8 (1968) and many games afterwards.
Around 16 music and girls became my priority and I didn't go very often for a few years, but still the odd game with him. Got back into it by going with my then girlfriend's brothers to a few games, and before I know it I had a season ticket in 1983. Dad was proud, and only that he worked most weekends kept him from getting one. He retired at 60, and finally got his. This was in our shittiest days, but we all loved going, the beers, the dark humour .... He was 88 when he had to give it up for health reasons, and it hurt him to do so.

We lost him on November the 9th, just short of his 93rd birthday. He was frail, but still sharp as a tack and followed us religiously. Pneumonia had hospitalised him (not for the first time) and sadly he contracted Covid in there, and he was just too weak to fight both.

I am just so happy that he was able to see the Treble and all the club had achieved to date. I could have gone to Istanbul, but decided I wanted to see the Final with him, which we did at my sister's with nephews and a couple of mates ... It was the right choice.

Miss him so much, especially watching games on TV, and calling to discuss it afterwards.

Cheers Dad.

Oh mate, I was only revisiting that story the other day. Just with it being back in the news this week. So terribly sorry for everything that happened - your son and his mates were all seriously talented lads.

Barely believed it at the time but River's dad, Ben Dunne, used to be the headteacher at my old school, Stockport Academy. Honestly had to take a long pause when I saw his face in connection with the story. My heart shattered for him.

I used to be part of the student council when I was in sixth form so we chatted a lot, on and off. Just about things that'd been raised by the students and put forward to the staff. A nice man, couldn't believe what had happened.

Hope you and yours are keeping on.
Top bloke Ben & Family had a few beers together after the accident, still keep in touch
Take care pal

I think almost everyone you speak to says that after the final whistle in istanbul they took a moment to themselves and said that one was for you to someone who wasnt there to see it, to thank someone who took us to out first match, who stood by us when times werent so good, we owed them that before we celebrated.

Think you are right I went into the garden for a little cry. Bizarrely at the final whistle our living room of 5 of us it was silence. I hugged my sons and than went outside to compose myself.
Think it panic my missus lol she came outside to see me in floods of tears. She said "what's the matter ?". I said ' I wish dad was here"
Funny enough she doesn't realise what part she has played in my bond with my lads, partially my eldest.

After a divorce, my new missus said she didnt want to stand in the way of my father and son time. She encouraged me to start going to matches again with my eldest ( youngest not into football ).

Over the last 5 or so years we have had some great father and son times. My missus really gets what it means to me and my lad.

I havent anything to leave my lads but I can leave them memories. A fuck me have we some memories. Memories like setting my lads car alight when trying to top up the oil on the way to the Etihad lol. Luckily we poured all our drinking water our it and we carried on to the match ! No damage to the car just burn Mark's on the engine block !

Off to Bournemouth next. Enjoy every moment blues and enjoy the moment and the memories. Thanks grandad and dad both Burnage lads me a posh didsbury lad some 58 years ago lol

IMG-20220522-WA0029.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.