Today’s Rugby Union

Wasps now know that they’ll have to come back in the Championship, which ironically is where Coventry currently play, alongside other clubs that went into administration: Richmond and London Scottish. Going the other way, the team that is currently in line for promotion, Ealing, probably won’t meet the stadium criteria to play in the top flight, which just shows what a mess the game is in today. It’s ironic because the quality of play on the pitch is really good, but the way the game is run is not.
Would u not say Union is a slight minority sport in so much that it couldnt and wont ever afford the wages etc that the players are paid. I know still a fraction of what footballers earn but maybe there was a reason it was an amateur sport for pretty much all its history up to 25 years ago

Never understood Wasps moving 90 miles to play in the Ghost Town.
When they first moved there from playing at Wycombe Wanderers ground, they got decent crowds - but it was a bit like Manchester Storm at the MEN Arena, when the majority of 'fans' there are on complimentary tickets to attract a new audience. The city has their own RUFC team (and are, like their football team, a bit shite) but locals weren't that stupid to join the Rugby Union equivelant of MK Dons.
Covid of course didn't help the finances of any sporting club, but Wasps demise began the day they left the London area.
Not sure why they ever thought that would work.
The ground has been a huge white elephant too

Would u not say Union is a slight minority sport in so much that it couldnt and wont ever afford the wages etc that the players are paid. I know still a fraction of what footballers earn but maybe there was a reason it was an amateur sport for pretty much all its history up to 25 years ago
I would imagine that the wages are too high but presumably some of the clubs are well run and capable of sustaining them. I think there might even be a salary cap, the breaking of which saw Saracens relegated. It’s a difficult one because the RFU has no control over what are private companies.

The World of Rugby has shrunk since the formal advent of the professional game.
Covid has also got the game quite hard but seemingly to different degrees.
English and French clubs are the big spenders vying for the best European talent and some from the Southern Hemisphere.
I am surprised at both Wasps and Worcester as I thought the English game was financially stable. Then again they are competing in a rich pool.
Ireland seems to be resilient and an outlier. The game has long been dominated by the Regions with high numbers eligible for the Country and high attendances.
Wales is struggling however despite relative National success. Region crowds are falling and reached a tipping point. The teams are now poor and not doing well in the league or European Cups. The crowds watch Italian, Scottish and South African teams with no away support so less interest. You get around four/five decent home games a year.
The Autumn Internationals further dilute the league and now there is also the South African contingent in the league making it even tougher but less of a spectacle.
Only a matter of time before SA franchises start to cherry pick the best players in Europe.

England phenomenally poor again today. Awful in the scrum and at the line out, even worse in open play, dropping the ball almost every time they try and run it, and no-one with anywhere near the pace or power to hurt the opposition. Borthwick looking as clueless as Jones on the current evidence. Astonishing how far backwards they’ve gone in the last 5 years

England phenomenally poor again today. Awful in the scrum and at the line out, even worse in open play, dropping the ball almost every time they try and run it, and no-one with anywhere near the pace or power to hurt the opposition. Borthwick looking as clueless as Jones on the current evidence. Astonishing how far backwards they’ve gone in the last 5 years

It’s embarrassing how bad we have become.

First half we were dreadful but fairly happy with that 2nd half, Jac Morgan is gonna be a star.
England dont seem to have a clue how they want to play the game, doesnt help that they just dont have the players anymore, something very wrong with English rugby.
Great result for the Jocks, good France turned up first half but then inept & not interested France in the 2nd half.

One of the worst halves of rugby I've seen from England. Just getting the basics so badly wrong. Set piece was atrocious and the defensive line was just awful. Gone backwards under Borthwick and no real glimmers of hope.

One of the worst halves of rugby I've seen from England. Just getting the basics so badly wrong. Set piece was atrocious and the defensive line was just awful. Gone backwards under Borthwick and no real glimmers of hope.

Needs a complete new broom as regards the managerial hierarchy. Get rid of the whole lot and look elsewhere. Trouble is on the playing front there was barely anyone in that England side today, who would get in the Scottish or Argentinian teams, never mind the Irish, French, Saffers or All Blacks, so it wouldn’t be a particularly quick fix

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.