Today's shooting in America thread

Was in this Safeway over the summer. Recall my wife being uncomfortable. Bend OR is unique as it is an island of progressive blue surrounded by some very hardcore rural reds (who'd like to secede and join Idaho). Scary.

Was in this Safeway over the summer. Recall my wife being uncomfortable. Bend OR is unique as it is an island of progressive blue surrounded by some very hardcore rural reds (who'd like to secede and join Idaho). Scary.

In my view Bend is one of the prettiest towns in the USA. A stunning place surrounded by stunning scenery. I know it well having spent a lot of time in Salem (Oregon) which is not that far away. I recall sitting by the river having a cold beer in Bend some years ago thinking: "This must be one of the nicest spots in the world." It is depressing that even a place like this is not safe from the gun nuts. I thought it was just a town for old hippies.

In my view Bend is one of the prettiest towns in the USA. A stunning place surrounded by stunning scenery. I know it well having spent a lot of time in Salem (Oregon) which is not that far away. I recall sitting by the river having a cold beer in Bend some years ago thinking: "This must be one of the nicest spots in the world." It is depressing that even a place like this is not safe from the gun nuts. I thought it was just a town for old hippies.
More public parks, restaurants/bars, bikes and dogs per capita than any town its size in America. And I'd also guess Suburus. I'm planning to retire up there (half-time) a few years from now. One thing about it is because of the extremes, people of very different backgrounds, views, beliefs and occupations have to learn to get along with each other, which I actually like. The town has been very thoughtful in planning (almost no traffic lights or stop signs -- traffic circles instead) and the residential architecture is very cool (a lot of Craftsman and modern).

More public parks, restaurants/bars, bikes and dogs per capita than any town its size in America. And I'd also guess Suburus. I'm planning to retire up there (half-time) a few years from now. One thing about it is because of the extremes, people of very different backgrounds, views, beliefs and occupations have to learn to get along with each other, which I actually like. The town has been very thoughtful in planning (almost no traffic lights or stop signs -- traffic circles instead) and the residential architecture is very cool (a lot of Craftsman and modern).
I remember they had some craft beer places in Bend more than 20 years ago so it must be a pretty forward-looking place. They were thin on the ground in those days. Nearby Sisters is also a beautiful little town. I am biased but I am sure that Oregon is the best state in the USA. Even now crime is very unusual there. I lived near Salem for a while in 1981 and in those days people really did leave their back doors open. My brother worked in Portland for a while, another great city.

Last edited:
I remember they had some craft beer places in Bend more than 20 years ago so it must be a pretty forward-looking place. They were thin on the ground in those days. Nearby Sisters is also a beautiful little town. I am biased but I am sure that Oregon is the best state in the USA. Even now crime is very unusual there. I lived near Salem for a while in 1981 and in those days people really did leave their back doors open. My brother worked in Porland for a while, another great city.
I love it. The coast is also wild and incredible, though cold, and the Cascades are beautiful "classic" mountains with their volcanic heritage. I play golf and love to kayak and raft and between the two, OR has some of the best courses and rivers/lakes in the US. Portland is a great city, I agree -- feels more relaxed and small-towny than the big CA cities. My oldest starts at Univ of Oregon in a month or so (in Euegen) so I expect we'll be all over the state quite a bit!

I remember they had some craft beer places in Bend more than 20 years ago so it must be a pretty forward-looking place. They were thin on the ground in those days. Nearby Sisters is also a beautiful little town. I am biased but I am sure that Oregon is the best state in the USA. Even now crime is very unusual there. I lived near Salem for a while in 1981 and in those days people really did leave their back doors open. My brother worked in Porland for a while, another great city.
Portland was a nice City, it’s now a drug infested shit hole

A lot of Ski towns are the same, the one I live in being one. Jackson Hole, Ketchum, steamboat, Telluride etc

Portland was a nice City, it’s now a drug infested shit hole
It is, the same way San Francisco is -- which is to say -- there are pockets that didn't used to be that are. But there are also pockets that used be drug-infested shitholes that aren't in bothg places. On balance, it's worse than it was . . .but so is everywhere. Still rather be in Portland than Cleveland.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.