Tommy Doyle | Signs for Wolves | will be confirmed Jul 1st

Good loan move. He needs game time now, which he should get. Bizarre that posters are already writing him off. Players develop at different speeds.

‘massively overhyped’. Yet apparently good enough to get a long term contract and pep to be impressed.

the main issue for him is that he just hasn’t played enough. Needs proper football

Great club, great city, but difficult time to go on loan. They’ve only won one of their five matches, drawn three, and lost one, away to St Pauli. They have Werder Bremen coming up soon, too. Good luck to him.

Good loan move. He needs game time now, which he should get. Bizarre that posters are already writing him off. Players develop at different speeds.

‘massively overhyped’. Yet apparently good enough to get a long term contract and pep to be impressed.

the main issue for him is that he just hasn’t played enough. Needs proper football

Massively overhyped in terms of becoming a Man City player yes. But he’ll 100% have a good pro career which is what it’s all about!

For me any Man City academy player who goes on to have a pro career is a great success for the club. To get in the first team like Foden, this will probably only happen once every 5-10 years.

“Massively overhyped in terms of becoming a Man City player yes. But he’ll 100% have a good pro career which is what it’s all about!”

I agree. Just think it’s too early to be writing him off. I don’t agree that he is overhyped either. Very good player in my opinion, who lots of ‘people in the know’ (former and current city youth/ senior management) rate highly.

Last edited:
I'm just glad he got the move to play in a men's league.

I'll judge his progress with them to see if he has the "City quality".

Off of current playtime, I think his best asset is his passing range.

He needs to develop the rest of his game to a higher level.

Good player but massively overhyped. Anyone in the know will know…
Tommy never was and never will be good enough for city first team but the club hyped him up like he was, he’s always been a championship type player, of course nothing wrong with that and he’ll have a good professional career I’m certain of that.
ps, England youth call ups generally mean nothing long term, apart from the odd gifted few like foden etc who go all the way. Far more England youth players end up in non league or out the game than playing prem level.
I can’t believe what I’ve read tbh.

Personally, just my opinion, I think the club havent handled Tommy’s progress the best. While some of the players he was seen as on a par with in the England set up like Greenwood were getting promoted and handed first team football in the premier league, Doyle has been kept in the EDS for 2 seasons playing 50 games for the U23s, a good 25 more than he needed. He was on this rapid rise and then all of a sudden it stopped to keep him playing U23s football and now send him on loan to a weird destination. Still got great hopes for him but I feel as though his development could’ve been handled better given the hype there was around him.

Tommy Doyle needs game time there's no way at this time he's getting any games here, even if he does it'd be in a deeper role and he's a box to box midfielder who needs to play in his desired role... Doyle isn't the type who can learn and improve by having even a dozen sub appearances, he needs game after game to grow and stamp his authority for a team.

We probably wouldn't even let the likes of a young Steven Gerrard or Frank Lampard in our team cos of their style differences, we want a silky centre midfielder and a deep lying midfielder no all out action that's solely Kev's role and we trust Bernardo to deputise if he's out so Tommy Doyle's favoured route has always been blocked, even if he played we'd still be restricting his style a loan anywhere is absolutely perfect for him and what he needs... He needs to be in a lessor league and try to be some teams version of Kev to grow, with him being an energetic all action central midfielder he needs this... only thing I'd say is this loan should've happened last season at championship level or even league 1 for a Sunderland type team.

I think it's a fantastic move for him if they give him license to roam and be a proper Box to box midfielder, he's a hard worker and needs to be in that league he'll thrive and be a far better player for it.

The bundesliga 2 looks quite competitive this year according to German media, their fans are said to be initially unimpressed but the Hamburg midfield has been pretty lethargic in recent times, they might not realise they're desperate for a midfielder of his type and if it works out this season and they promote it could be a 2 year loan... If they promote and he shines in the top flight it could do his chances here the world of good, if he doesn't make it here but does all that he'll develop into a good Prem player and gain us a fairly decent transfer fee.
Agreed with all of that. Tommy above all, needs 1st team games, the German 2nd tier should ensure that I think and he'll change the minds of their fans.

I'm pretty sure he's captained every team at every age level he's played at too, he comes across as a proper leader.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.