Tommy Hutchison book

Mad Eyed Screamer

Saw this posted elsewhere and thought I'd drop it here if anyone is interested in contributing.

Hi everyone, my dad is writing a book with/about Tommy Hutchison, titled ‘Mr Magic’. We are Coventry fans, so this is the message that has been posted on our fans forum, but Tommy Hutchison played for many clubs, as well as representing Scotland, over a very long career - I wondered if anyone on here has any memories of him? He’s asked me to share the below message asking for any of your Hutch memories, with a view to including them in the book. Thanks!
Tom Shannon

I am currently writing a book about Tommy. I spent a week in Fife in September recording his story and by the time I came to leave we were only half way through his time at Coventry! He had a long, long career and he has a lot of stories to tell! Over Zoom in the following week or so we managed to cover the rest of his career and what he has done since retiring as a player. Like most City fans who saw him play for us in the seventies, I thought he was just a fantastic player. I never thought that forty odd years later I would have the chance to get to know him. He is a funny, friendly, down to earth sort of bloke with no airs and graces. I would hope that the book will be published some time this year.

The reason for this thread is that I thought it would be nice to have a few memories in the book from fans of all the clubs he played for, possibly fans of the Scottish international team too. If any of you met him, or have memories of particular movements featuring Hutch in games, please email me at the address below. Thanks in advance. Please send any contributions to;

mrmagicfootball@outlook.com

Last edited:
Tommy Hutchison signed by John Bond, along with Gerry Gow and Bobby Mcdonald, transformed a very young Manchester City team, after the departure of Malcolm Allison. Tommy Hutchison was the creative winger who could drift past fullbacks with ease, even though he was in the twilight of his carreer he was still very influential and helped guide City to the 1981 fa cup final, he was my favourite player of that team, and wished he had stayed longer, if only we had bought him earlier in his carreer, a great player who will always be remembered by the City fans of that era.

Apparently Gary Mabbutt also scored at both ends in the 1987 Cup Final whilst playing for Spurs.
I remember watching that game at a friend's house (we were all supporting Coventry because of the Dave Bennett conection) but don't remember Mabbutt scoring an own goal.
I remember Clive Allan opener and Bennett and Houchen goals and Brian Kilcline lifting the cup but don’t recall Mabutt’s goal for Spurs although I’ve a vague recollection of his own goal looping over the keeper. Also remember Spurs had a mishmash of tops on that day, some with advertising some without. Think Coventry put United out in 4th round after we’d lost at OT in the 3rd round. Day if the battle of the Whalley pub!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.